Okay, this, may take a while....

I have a few questions about getting a really bluesy/Jimmy Page sound, mainly with regard to an amp and strings.

I currently use D'Addario 11 to 52 strings; are these good for blues/Page or is there another brand that would be better?

I have a Peavey VK 112; I think it handles blues quiet well, but I am getting a mew amp in the next 6-12 months. A friend has recommended the Fender Super Sonic, and I haven't tried any amps yet, so I just want to narrow down the types of amps that will help get a Page/blues sound. Will the Fender be good, and how does it compare to the Peavey?

I know that Page uses Marshall, but there are so many options -- I would appreciate it if someone recommended a Marshall that is good for the sound I'm after. I've heard that the Plexis are the best -- could someone explain what makes them so good?

I'm just looking for suggestions right now, as I don't know exactly what my budget will be, so it doesn't really matter at the moment what the price is -- I just want to know what direction to go in and what to look for.

Thanks in advance

P.S. For the sound, think Since I've Been Loving You
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
The Plexi really needs to be cranked to get to that sweet spot. I'd suggest looking at some Marshall clones - such as Ceriatone, maybe the 30 watt clone they do?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
orange heads (ribroverb(?) or thunderverb i think), or combos i guess, page used 1 orange head and 2 of their cabinets i believe.
For strings you should get Ernie Balls in whatever size you want. Jimmy Page used Ernie Balls. Right now I am looking at buying a Peavey Classic 30. They get a good Page tone.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Quote by Zigler9
For strings you should get Ernie Balls in whatever size you want. Jimmy Page used Ernie Balls.

Does the brand really matter that much?

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Check out the Orange Rockerverb and the Fender Hot Rod series for bluesy tones.
Are you looking for a head and cab, or a combo?

MONSTA EDIT:

Quote by chillrock

It makes very little difference, the only difference I could think of really is the guage and that doesn't really change much.
Last edited by ze monsta at Mar 16, 2008,
Peavey Classics would nail the Page tone. My Classic 50 does.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by ze monsta
Check out the Orange Rockerverb and the Fender Hot Rod series for bluesy tones.
Are you looking for a head and cab, or a combo?

something that will be loud enough for a stage, and that will have the better quality sound, so if there is a combo that nails the sound, that will be the one im interested in.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock

In all honesty the strings don't matter at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by cmakkidguitar
The Plexi really needs to be cranked to get to that sweet spot. I'd suggest looking at some Marshall clones - such as Ceriatone, maybe the 30 watt clone they do?

Do they have those preassembled? Because all I can find on their site is a couple preassembled parts which you have to assemble yourself.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Well most places will have a PA and so the Rockerverb 30 would easily be loud enough. The Hot Rod deluxe would also be plenty loud enough at 40 watts. You might just wanna look into the Blues Junior as I expect that will be loud enough, though they don't really work with distortion, but I think with fuzz they'll be fine. They aren't an amp for playing metal on or anything though. They really are just a great blues amp.

What's your price range?
Quote by thankyougermany
Do they have those preassembled? Because all I can find on their site is a couple preassembled parts which you have to assemble yourself.

I'm not 100% but i think you can specify when you buy it to have them pre-assembled (at an extra cost of course)...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
I'm not 100% but i think you can specify when you buy it to have them pre-assembled (at an extra cost of course)...
\

Alright, I'll check into it then.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by ze monsta
What's your price range?

im estimating around 1000 - 2000 GB Pounds, or about 2800 Euros.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
orange rockerverb all the way

50w is cheaper and easier to crank

strings only matter in guage, Page used banjo strings at an 8 guage E

maybe a bit less heavy, also easier to play and bend at standard - go for some 9's
Stings won't effect your tone enough to matter. The biggest thing is going with what's comfortable. I like .11s a lot, and if you're comfortable with those, there's no need to change that.

For the amp, you've gotten some great, expensive suggestions such as orange. If you decide in the future that you're on a tighter budget, then the Traynor YVC50BLUE is a nice marshally amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Stings won't effect your tone enough to matter. The biggest thing is going with what's comfortable. I like .11s a lot, and if you're comfortable with those, there's no need to change that.

For the amp, you've gotten some great, expensive suggestions such as orange. If you decide in the future that you're on a tighter budget, then the Traynor YVC50BLUE is a nice marshally amp.

well they do to many people

but clearly you like Mr Stevie, so we'll leave it at that - though there are some big big Page bends that would need fingers of steel to make with 11s in standard. fact.
Orange AD30TC

Comes in a combo or head, and Page used one of 'em in the reunion concert in December.
Adam
Quote by davedoom
well they do to many people

but clearly you like Mr Stevie, so we'll leave it at that - though there are some big big Page bends that would need fingers of steel to make with 11s in standard. fact.

That's not a fact at all. SRV made huge bends with .13s when he needed to. If he's comfortable with .11s, that's what he'll be better off with.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i have no problems with 11s, otherwise i wouldnt be using them

so how much would an Orange Rockerverb be?

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
^though he used one set for this Theremin and one set for his clean sounds

he used a set of Plexi's for more crunch

and finally the Petersburg for the heavy stuff and leads. (plus pedalboard the size of France i believe)

here:
Quote by TNfootballfan62
That's not a fact at all. SRV made huge bends with .13s when he needed to. If he's comfortable with .11s, that's what he'll be better off with.

okish - but he was in Eb or lower...
^I can't recall a single time when he was lower than Eb, at least on a regular basis. And he used up to .17s at times. But this is a ridiculous conversation. He knows what he can do with .11s, so there's no reason for him to change unless he feels like he needs to.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
A generic page Page tone is pretty easy to get.

1)Low wattage, fairly clean amp cranked to 11 (fender blues junior)
2)germanium fuzz (MKII clone)
3)McCoy-voiced wah (Teese picture wah is the most accurate to my ears)
4)tape delay (line 6 echo park as a decent tape feature)
5)phaser (script phase 90)

Really, all you need is the amp, the fuzz, and a Les Paul.
18 watt Plexi
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BS18w/BS18w.htm

Some sort of Tonebender clone
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tonebender.html

And a Gibson Les Paul

Jimmy also is known for using Ernie Ball Slinky 9's.
I don't think brand matter but usually the lighter 9 is good.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by chillrock

P.S. For the sound, think Since I've Been Loving You

Find an old British amp called "Axis", that's what he used for the song (in the studio) or so he says

So it's his Marshall tones you're after? '72 - end of Zep if we're talking live, doubt they seen that much studio use despite what many think. Prior to that, mid '69 - late '71 were his custom Hiwatts, again I'm talking in a live sense here, no evidence they were used in the studio. The Hiwatts were based around the SAP models (Special All Purpose), more gain and more balls than a normal Hiwatt, more Marshall-ish than Hiwatt-ish if you will. The Tonebender was still being used on and off until '71, I have a pic from Nov. '71 of him with it.

Anywho, I think the 18 watter can cop his Marshall tone quite well. Should be plenty loud for gigging too. If you want the added headroom go with the 36 watt.

Also keep in mind the earlier bluesier stuff wasn't a Marshall. LZI was a Supro and Tonebender. A majority of LZII was a Vox Super Beatle.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Mar 16, 2008,
I also believe Jimmy used Vox AC30's alot in the studio he mentions them in interviews quite a bit.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Peavey classic 30 will get you preety close to Page's sound. From the videos I've watched of people playing that is. Go try out that one at the store though I'm sure it'll suit your liking
I think String Brand matters and swear by Ernie Ball strings. I actually started buying them because Jimmy Page and Slash use them, and have never looked back. A few of my friends use different brands and I can feel and hear slight nuances between them, just my opinion
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
Quote by STRINGGURUX
I think String Brand matters and swear by Ernie Ball strings. I actually started buying them because Jimmy Page and Slash use them, and have never looked back. A few of my friends use different brands and I can feel and hear slight nuances between them, just my opinion

zomg....is Eric Johnson
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
id try and find a single channel marshall with no foot switch he kept it cranked and uses the volume on his guitar to controll it.... so id say maybe a 18 watt marshall clone or a 36 watt clone head and you can get a good cab from www.avatarcabs.com i have an 18 watt and it gets a killer blues sound from srv with my strat to a more jimmy page with the les paul... im in love with it
Quote by steven seagull
zomg....is Eric Johnson

and the stomp box batteries! not those kind of batteries! only the walmart ones dammit!

btw if you listen to Page's "modern" tone coming from about 1995, its much heavier, thicker and more sustain

so if youre aiming for the newer sound anyone - crank it a bit more with some extra gain
Traynor amps. Valve 40 blue.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah