Lately... I've been playing a lot of clean/dirty clean/acoustic stuff. Most of my soloing is usually done with a good amount of distortion, which doesn't transition well into clean/acoustic. I wanna get into the feel of clean/acoustic soloing, so, I ask, what are some good songs you can reccomend? I enjoy playing nearly any style (except Country and mainstream Metal.)

P.S. - If you're going to reccomend me something for the acoustic, make sure it doesn't go too high up on the fretboard (I run out of free neck after the 14th fret, like most acoustics) and I won't be able to properly play it.
Last edited by Fender67019 at Mar 16, 2008,
You're aware that you can play an acoustic piece on your electric guitar for the extra frets, right?

A good acoustic piece is "Song For George" by Eric Johnson. It's just a solo guitar is DADGBD tuning.

A good clean solo is "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits. While I feel the solo should have been slightly distorted, just to allow it to come through clearer, it's a classic 70s rock solo. It's reasonable tricky, but nothing is too bad.
intro solo to "one" by metallica, the second solo is also clean
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You're aware that you can play an acoustic piece on your electric guitar for the extra frets, right?

A good acoustic piece is "Song For George" by Eric Johnson. It's just a solo guitar is DADGBD tuning.

A good clean solo is "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits. While I feel the solo should have been slightly distorted, just to allow it to come through clearer, it's a classic 70s rock solo. It's reasonable tricky, but nothing is too bad.

I'm aware, but I like to play songs intended for the acoustic... on the acoustic. I feel a bit thrown off, otherwise. Thanks for the reccomendations, though. Anyone esle?
The solo on Settle for Nothing by Rage Against the Machine. Possibly my favorite solo of all time. Its pretty clean, maybe just a little gain, but just to make it clearer. The rest of the song isn't their best but that solo is just incredible.

Edit: and it should sound fine when played on acoustic. Maybe it'll sound better. I don't know. Find out!
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
Johnny Smith. It's probably not what you're looking for but I had to put him in there. He's bad-a**.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
About 92.7+% of the jazz guitarists out there.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje

Is that an exact figure?

TS: If you're into jazz solos, look at Charlie Christian and Joe Pass, they're two of the best.
^ Any specific songs? I really don't feel like going through their entire discography... you know.
By Grant Green, try something of his 'Standards' cd. That's just pretty standard mellow jazz stuff, the way he's known. I'll Remember April and All The Things You Are are some nice songs on there.

Don't know if there's tab for it though, so get ready to transcribe.
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by electricnightma
steve vai's Tender Surrender before he destroys it is good.

Fail. That song had the greatest guitar solo.

^Notice the period. The greatest guitar solo.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Fender67019
^ Any specific songs? I really don't feel like going through their entire discography... you know.
Screw Grant Green! I'll Remember April by Johnny Smith! By the way, Grant Green is the man.

Quote by elvenkindje
you mean famous jazz guitarists right? because I would say that 60% of amateur jazz guitarists are complete sh*t. like me. (but I try not to say I'm a jazz player)
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Acoustic solo?

Well, it starts with a "Wish You" and ends with "Were Here".
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
cry for eternity by dragonforce has a cool little clean solo part in it...forever by kiss has a tight one too...paitence by gnr?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by :-D
Christian: Rose Room, Stardust, Seven Come Eleven.

Pass: Check out the whole "Virtuoso" album.
YESYESYESYESJOEPASS
Sorry, it's just that that man is/was ridiculous. I kinda know a guitarist who got to do a clinic with him before he died. He sort of informally KINDA gave me "lessons" for a total of 2-3 hours over the past 3 weeks. I've learned so much.

Back on topic, a lot of Chili Peppers stuff like Scar Tissue should work.
chet atkins and les paul... and you dont have to listen to their whole discography.. just download some of their songs man
Quote by KryptNet
Screw Grant Green! I'll Remember April by Johnny Smith! By the way, Grant Green is the man.

you mean famous jazz guitarists right? because I would say that 60% of amateur jazz guitarists are complete sh*t. like me. (but I try not to say I'm a jazz player)

I mean jazz guitarists of all sorts. The topic is about acoustic, or clean, solos. Jazz guitar is mostly clean, although some guitarists like to dick around with some gain lately. That's where the rough figure comes from
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by Damascus
Acoustic solo?

Well, it starts with a "Wish You" and ends with "Were Here".

damn beat me to it
sentenced - bleed in my arms is so awesome
the tab on ug is not 100% right but close
Quote by Archeo Avis
Fail. That song had the greatest guitar solo.

^Notice the period. The greatest guitar solo.

I think he destroys it personally

I'm a huge steve vai song, and believe that it starts of great.

Anyway another Vai song, Lotus Feet
some marty friedman (solo career) has some clean solos.
Quote by Trefellin

He's been in the Pit so long, he's forgotten about television. His whole life is about pears, cats, Spartans and rape. So much so that the mind control tube has lost it's powers over him. It's sad really.
Quote by electricnightma
I think he destroys it personally

I'm a huge steve vai song, and believe that it starts of great.

Anyway another Vai song, Lotus Feet

0_o