Hey guys,

Anyone know how?

What will it be like underneath? Will the finish be damaged? I really dislike my pickguard, its an ugly odd shaped black tear drop styled one. If its possible I'd like to remove it altogether, and if not replace it with a nice styled tortoise shell one
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
what kind of guitar do you have? i took the pick guard off my les paul and it didn't make a difference.
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
Diezel Herbert w/ Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
Most are self adhesive and will peel off quite easily I had an old Lorenzo acoustic and the pick guard peeled up a bit so I took it off completely, I ended up with an area of showroom condition finish the shape of the pick guard on a battered and weathered guitar, looked kind of strange. The pick guard on my Fender acoustic is lifting a bit and it looks like it will come off easy leaving the original finish underneath.

I'm not sure if all guitars are the same so it's at your own risk.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by buckdich_187
what kind of guitar do you have? i took the pick guard off my les paul and it didn't make a difference.

Acoustic
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
yea man it probably wont be a problem. If youve had the guitar a while though it might have a tan line.
It SHOULD have been finished underneath.

I know Corduroy has told someone had to do it safely before, and if I can find his post, I'll edit mine.

EDIT:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Pickguards/PeelGuard/peelguard.html

^The bible of acoustic guitars.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Last edited by roamingbard13 at Mar 16, 2008,
^that is by far the best way to do it on a guitar with a gloss finish.

If the guitar has a very thin satin finish like on a seagull then that method could still pull the finish off but I don't want to type out all the instructions if I don't need to so you do need instructions for pickgaurd removal on a satin finish guitar then let me know.
Not taking any online orders.
Ahh, thats good news. I have an Alvarez AD60S12..

I bought it just before christmas. Doesn't sit in direct sunlight so I'm hoping there won't be too much of a 'tanline' on her.

Cheers for the link roamingbard, its exactly what I needed. I'll check to see if theres something to remove the glue kicking about tomorrow and then I'll have a go and post a pic here when I get the chance

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
^ I have that guitar, btw. For what I paid, it's pretty good.

good luck!

Gear:
Can't find any Naphtha, but I have both Acetate and White Spirits. Can I use either of those to remove the glue (I'd imagine so) , but will either of those damage my guitar finish?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
White spirits is the same thing, i'm pretty sure. check your thread in GBC.

Gear:
Quote by roamingbard13
Naptha is called white spirit in the UK, I believe.

I'm almost positive they are the same thing, and wiki thinks it too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naptha#Different_types_of_naphthas

Cheers roamingbard I wasn't sure if it would be some US/UK nomenclature.

Got work tonight unfortunately but I'ma gonna do it tomorrow I think

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
All guitars have a tanline i beleive its from the wood darkening from its aging process my spuce top is turning a beutiful golden brown.
Just did it Came off pretty easily. Took some heat to get the corner to come up but once that was up the rest followed with minimal extra heat. There is a tan line, but only very faint (way less than the 4 month Taylor on fret.com), heres a pic:

IMO looks much much nicer!

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
^ Haha, are we john butler? EDIT: even took the tuner out. nice!

Anywho, looks great! Are you going to put a clear pickguard in place of it?

My other alvarez came with a pickguard that you had the option to put on or not...and I don't really need one. My attack doesn't endanger the soundboard.

Gear:
Last edited by roamingbard13 at Mar 19, 2008,
I am a fan of John Butler, yessir! Not nearly as talented, but freeing up the octave G string does help my playing a lot. I much prefer it. The tuner was removed because without the string tension it was rattling, and I wanted to add a little charm, which (I don't know if you can see well enough) is my 'Peace Frog' (homage to The Doors)

I don't think I'll put a clear pickguard on it, tho it would look nice. I don't really need a guard for my picking style and I prefer the esthetics as it is now

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.