Hey,
I came across this on kijiji this morning. :
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Marshall-Valvestate-8100-Head-and-Jaguar-guitar-W0QQAdIdZ41829695

It looks like a great deal, a head and guitar for $325. I've heard bad things about the valvestates here, but some of the reviews on harmony central make it look good. I play mostly thrash and death metal, so the cleans aren't as important as the gain channel. My other main options at this point are the bugera 333xl or the peavey windsor.

So, is the valvestate worth it, or should i keep saving for something better?
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Last edited by Retardwitguitar at Mar 16, 2008,
You might like the Bugera better. Tube > hybrid in my opinion.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
It's not even hybrid... valvestate is pure SS emulating tube. Good attempt for a SS, though. If the guitar is worth it, then you can think about it.
valvestates aren't bad for the price if you get them used, they do a pretty good emulation of the Marshall sound for a SS amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i heard the older ones are bettor than the newer ones
ive never triend them really just going by what i heard
and what the **** is this whole hybrid is a giant scheme **** i think its completely false
the Fender XD series seems really good and dont sound like any other SS amp ive ever played
and have any of you ever played a Music Man
yah but when it comes to Valvetronix and Valvestates it makes sense what people say
Quote by the-kid66(2)
i heard the older ones are bettor than the newer ones
ive never triend them really just going by what i heard
and what the **** is this whole hybrid is a giant scheme **** i think its completely false
the Fender XD series seems really good and dont sound like any other SS amp ive ever played
and have any of you ever played a Music Man
yah but when it comes to Valvetronix and Valvestates it makes sense what people say

Well, there's 4 kind of hybrids:
1) Preamp tube, SS power (ala 90% hybrid) = marketing scheme
2) SS preamp, Tube power
3) Stuck a complete tube amp between the SS sections (valvetronix)
4) Stuck a modeling somewhere is a otherwise normal tube amp - vibro champ XD (class A), super champ XD (it has 1 triode for preamp, so i consider it as somewhat complete.)
Quote by Retardwitguitar
So, is the valvestate worth it, or should i keep saving for something better?

This is an Mk I Valvestate. These are the only good Valvestates (anything AVT or so doesn't cut it). Chuck from Death used this exact model !
I have a Marshall 8100 and I love it. I bought it mainly just because Chuck Schuldiner of Death used it. Also I play simalar styles that you do and it works great for me, I did find however that if you want a good lead tone a compression and chorus pedal will help. I have heared that Chuck used those pedal as well.
Quote by HAMMETTOWNS
I have a Marshall 8100 and I love it. I bought it mainly just because Chuck Schuldiner of Death used it. Also I play simalar styles that you do and it works great for me, I did find however that if you want a good lead tone a compression and chorus pedal will help. I have heared that Chuck used those pedal as well.

That's right
Compressors are often overlooked when it comes to bringing your guitar's signal to solo level. People automatically turn their heads to volume pedals - or perhaps clean boost pedals without thinking of compression. A compressor, when used right (by right I mean "with moderation") will give you better audible note sustain, smoother pick attack and louder (upon preference) output without killing the dynamics of your playing. In this case however, high-headroom "clean" comps are prefered.

Sorry for resuscitating this old thread, I stumbled accross it while googling "valvestate 8100" and I couldn't help myself.

Cheers
Last edited by Mackin at Sep 30, 2008,