Yo UG
Two questions here for you smarties
I was taught the "minor pentatonic" which covers the whole neck but on some websites it says that (when we are playing in A) the 5-8 5-7 Box is pentatonic minor and that the box next to it is the pentatonic major?
Im confused by this as i was taught that the pentatonic minor went across the whole neck?

Second question!
Recently i have been making riffs that are metal kind of riffs, but when it comes to the solo its too bluesy kinda sounding (because the only scale i know is pentatonic)
A is my favourite key so, are there any keys which are in A which are good for making solos?
Thanks to anyone who can give me an answer!
Thanks
Terry
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

Quote by Tezza_Larks
Im confused by this as i was taught that the pentatonic minor went across the whole neck?
It does. Any pattern of a scale can be any number of scales. For instance, you can play your Am Pentatonic scale at the 5th fret, but you can also play it at the 8th or the 10th or the 12th. Position has no affect on scale. In fact, you'll want to use multiple positions in a solo. You seem to partially understand theory, but have some holes in your understanding. I suggest reading the "learn your theory" link in my sig, as it will fill in said holes.

Second question: It depends on the notes in your riff. If you understand the material in the aformentioned link, you'll be able to figure out the scale by yourself. My favorite scale for metal is Natural Minor, but your riffs may not use the notes approproate for a natural minor solo.
The pentatonic minor AND the pentatonic major run across the whole neck. Either
you read those sites wrong, or they were wrong.

The major and minor pents are the same "box shapes", it's just the root notes
are different (they're modes of each other). In your somewhat limited way of
looking at it right now, the 1st postion A minor pent box is at the 5th fret. The
2nd position box is at the 8th fret. However, the 2nd position box of A pent
minor is also the 1st position box of C pent major.
Quote by edg
The major and minor pents are the same "box shapes", it's just the root notes are different (they're modes of each other).
If we're talking box patterns, the major and minor will have different fingerings. (about 2 or 3 of them are the same)

IMO I wouldn't be so quick to say they are modes of each other. I would only call the minor pent a mode of a major pent if I was basing a lead on the modes. Since most music doesn't use pentatonic modally, it's more usable to see them as a scale with a minor tonality and a major tonality.

I'm just saying this because a lot of time, modal thinking can confuse people. some may say apples and oranges but I still think that with Pentatonics and how they are used, seeing them as maj/min is the "correct" way.

EDIT: oh by the way, to the TS, minor pents can work great with metal. Just keep experimenting with it. But do start learning that maj scale too!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
learn modes- that shud help ur understanding

HI TERRY!!!!!!!!
best signature ever