I am about to buy a B-52 AT-112. It only wants one gain channel. Is there a way I can increase the volume via a foot-switch so I can play a solo? Maybe an OD Pedal? EQ?
Would it be wise to use both an OD and EQ? Like can I use a bad monkey alter the sound of the distortion of the amp for rhythm and solos, and use the EQ pedal to boost for solos?
Look into a BBE Boosta Grande. It's a clean boost that's very transparent. An EQ would work for a boost, you'd want it in front of the amp, not in the loop.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Look into a BBE Boosta Grande. It's a clean boost that's very transparent. An EQ would work for a boost, you'd want it in front of the amp, not in the loop.

But wouldn't putting it in the loop give more of a volume boost while in front of the amp would just increase the gain.
Quote by neon10th
Would it be wise to use both an OD and EQ? Like can I use a bad monkey alter the sound of the distortion of the amp for rhythm and solos, and use the EQ pedal to boost for solos?

Yeah that could work. An OD will tighten up the gain and personally I think they work great for solos and really cut through but an EQ would be a good way to boost the tone you're already getting.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by neon10th

You can do that. Use the OD to tighten things up and/or for a solo boost. You could probably use the Bad Monkey for a boost instead of worrying about using an EQ. Wait to give it a try yourself.

Quote by Geartrigger
But wouldn't putting it in the loop give more of a volume boost while in front of the amp would just increase the gain.

You can use an EQ in the loop to boost the volume, but you'd want to put it in front of the amp to boost the mids and volume to really cut through the mix. There will only be a slight increase in gain, not as much as using an OD is capable of.
So an OD is a better choice for me? An OD can make the gain less loose?
An OD will probably be more what you're looking for. The B-52 isn't very articulate, an OD should tighten things up a bit.
What would I do with the OD to make it tighter? Is there something I should do with the built-in EQ and gain?

Also, I'll might as well get a bad monkey and an MXR M-108 considering how cheap the bad monkey is.
Don't set the gain on the amp too high. You'll want to set the OD like this:

Level - Maxed
Tone - Set to taste
Gain - Set it at 0 and use your ear to adjust the gain level
Oh I get it. So on the amp you set the distortion to however tight you want the sound to be. Now, there is not enough distortion for I guess heavy metal. That is what the OD pedal is for. The OD pedal will increase distortion, but you will still retain the tightness set on the amp. Am I right?
First of all, the B-52 AT's aren't very articulate amps, they're rather muddy. The amp has more than enough gain for heavy metal. Heavy metal doesn't mean loads of gain. When you crank it you'll be getting power tube saturation. If I was using that amp, I'd have the gain at about 12 o'clock at the most. An OD will clean things up a bit and push the tubes harder, so yes there will be an increase in gain when using an OD. When you're not cranking the amp and playing at bedroom levels, an OD in front of the amp is only adding to preamp distortion.