I was wondering if there is a specific area to place your fingers on the fret. Usually my fingers are close to the wire, but my freind will sometimes put his fingers in the middle of the fret, or even farther back than that.

Does it matter where you put them, or does it just depend on what your playing?
For the most part not really, but it's best to try and keep it in the middle, the note will ring better that way.
"I play guitar" - Me
I dont know if this will help but,

It doesn`t really matter too much where you put your fingers on a fret. Some people may disagree with me, but from what i`ve done, it doesn`t matter where you put your fingers. As long as your fingers are somewhere between the two fret bars, you will be fine
If I fret too high, my guitar buzzes (because it sucks), but I've learned to fret right above the wire, nearly on it.
It doesn't matter much. The farther away from the wire, the harder it will be to get the sound across
well i usually do it 2/3 of the way to the wire, so like front-middle area
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Actually...you are supposed to fret right infront of the metal strips. It's most clear at that position.
Yeah one of the first things I was taught was to put them as close to the actual frets as possible without touching them.
Quote by Vasser
Yeah one of the first things I was taught was to put them as close to the actual frets as possible without touching them.

You can still touch them. Just not go on top of them.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Just before the fret. Best sound and tone from the note that way.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Yeah I was playing close to the fret wire, but my friend played it in the middle so I got confused.

Thanks for the help.