Page 1 of 2
My Friend in our band is complaing about his fender precision bass, and would like another bass so we can play in a band properly. We usually play metallica, avenged sevenfold, and our own avenged sevenfold-style songs. can anyone recommend any bassses for us?
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
Maybe an Ibanez?
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Hmm...I don't know his budget or anything but I would say either a:

musicman stingray:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Music-Man-StingRay-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-515555-i1148761.gc

or something cheaper:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass-516042-i1148889.gc

It would also be nice if you told us what he doesn't like about his current bass.
Last edited by ccmetz2020 at Mar 16, 2008,
He plays through a mesa-boogie M-pulse and he has like $10,000
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
oh, well in that case, if you like avenged sevenfold, i know that the bassist plays a musicman sterling which is about $100 more expensive than the stingray that i recommended.
Quote by Kaz3-6-0

That's a lot to play with imo.
Quote by .Anfield
That's a lot to play with imo.

F**** You. If We Were Emo, I wouldn't Be Able To Type
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
Quote by Kaz3-6-0

IMO means in my opinion .

But there is nought wrong with a Fender precision bass. If it isn't his thing, fair enough, but there is no reason you can't play properly with one at all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So yeah, that's an appropriate reaction. I think he meant, "in my opinion", not "emo".

Anywho, with that much, I'm going to recommend the MM Sterling. Maybe even the HH model.

Also, get a nice amp and cab. Heck, I'd get a pair of 8x10's, and use 'em both.
Quote by Kaz3-6-0

Unnecessary attitude, calm down or you'll get reported.

If he's got $10,000 to play with then tell him to go buy some nice vintage bass or look at getting one custom-built.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by gm jack
IMO means in my opinion .

But there is nought wrong with a Fender precision bass. If it isn't his thing, fair enough, but there is no reason you can't play properly with one at all.

forgive me
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
he doesn't like his p-bass because the in his opinion, the pick-ups are screwed
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
Serious?

If it's a Fender and not a Starcaster, it's quality. Have him take it into a shop. It'll save him thousands, and he can spend that on an amp or something.

edit: Heck, I'd even buy it off him.
Last edited by Pink Muse at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by Kaz3-6-0

Tell him to give Thebiz off of Ultimate-Guitar.com some of this.

But yes...From what I heard Musicmans are really good. I've heard that brands like Ibanez and Spector are pretty good for the type of sound of the bands you like.

Also, maybe he'd like to check out a five string bass for a deeper sound.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Right now, he's thinking of getting an ernie-ball, would this ernie-ball-Mesa boogie M-pulse combo be a good combination?
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
I dont think you should deside trough a forum what he must buy. With that amount to spend go to a store and try some things out on that untill he finds something he likes.

Everyone here has there own taste which makes it hard to decide which would be best for him.

Stingrays are good basses. If there are two basses that almost every professional bass player has its a stingray and or a fender lazz/percision. So with those two you can't go wrong to my opinion.

But as i said he might want to try somethign more exclusive like a rickenbacker or an alembic, HECK with that amount he can get a custom one like a Carl Thompson for example.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Kaz3-6-0
Right now, he's thinking of getting an ernie-ball, would this ernie-ball-Mesa boogie M-pulse combo be a good combination?

Ernie Ball is Music Man, so that'll be a Stingray or Sterling, or maybe even a Bongo

but yeah if I had that kinda money it'd be a custom bass all the way...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Mescalino
I dont think you should deside trough a forum what he must buy. With that amount to spend go to a store and try some things out on that untill he finds something he likes.

Everyone here has there own taste which makes it hard to decide which would be best for him.

Stingrays are good basses. If there are two basses that almost every professional bass player has its a stingray and or a fender lazz/percision. So with those two you can't go wrong to my opinion.

But as i said he might want to try somethign more exclusive like a rickenbacker or an alembic, HECK with that amount he can get a custom one like a Carl Thompson for example.

+1... all you really need to do is go to a bass guitar shop, tell them how much money you've got to spend. They'll let your bassist try everything in the shop! He'll know what he's looking for.

And besides, when you got some money for a serious intrument, you wouldn't want some stranger on the internet telling you what to buy.
there's no reason to spend that amount of money on a bass, it's completely unneccecery.
Get a TBC Bass, not many have heard of them, but by golly they are amazing.

They are cheap, and are easily one of the best basses evarrr.

I bought my TBC bass from my cousin for 600 dollars, and he's had many different basses, from custom-made to his likings, to vintage, and he's still saying he wishes he had the TBC back.

They play and sound great. And for the cost, you can't go wrong.

Check them out.

www.thebasscompany.com/
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
I'm going to say this once, maybe twice, depending on how much I end up ranting.

TELL HIM TO GO OUT AND TRY SOME DAMN BASSES.

With (apparently) $10,000, that's a lot of moolah, but I honestly don't see any point spending more than $2000 on a bass in a band situation. Hell, if there's a bass that costs $500, and it plays better than a $2000 bass, then I know what I'd go for. When looking at that kind of money, you have to know if the instrument is good for YOU. Not some guys 7,000 miles away on a forum. I wouldn't ask these guys for their opinion if I had that kind of money to buy myself a bass, even though I respect the sh*t out of them. This is mainly because choosing a bass is one of THE most personal decisions you can make as a bassist.

It's easier to give opinions on starter basses, because they're, well, starter basses. They're made for beginners, it's easy to put beginners on the path to awesomeness. However, (apparently) established bassists with better equipment... they should know that choosing a bass is down to their own personal criteria. We don't know how the neck of bass brand/model x will feel like in your friend's hands. If I had the money, I'd make sure I was getting what was best for ME, and ME only.

So in another words, instead of wasting time on a forum, tell your friend to GO OUT AND TRY SOME DAMN BASSES.
Quote by jimRH7
yes.

Maybe you hit submit too soon, but "yes" why? Read Bass Forum Rule #4, if you aren't clear why this is spam. You're adding nothing to the conversation here.

If you meant to add, go back in and edit your post. If not, watch this type of post, too many times and Fman and I will be issuing a warning.
Your freind is dumb. The P bass is the best it will ever get in the bass world. Every thing made after is a waste of forest. It's the best bass design ever, and the nothing sounds like a real (u.s.a made) P BASS, nothing....
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Your freind is dumb. The P bass is the best it will ever get in the bass world. Every thing made after is a waste of forest. It's the best bass design ever, and the nothing sounds like a real (u.s.a made) P BASS, nothing....

does that mean not even U.S.A Fender P sounds like a U.S.A Fender P??

or dyu mean nothing else??

sorry, I'm being deliberately obtuse, too much sugar

While I admire the dedication to a brand, this is only your opinion

dont go stating it as a fact, it makes you sound silly and unreasonable

for instance, I prefer the Jazz bass, and in fact, find P basses very uncomfortable and somewhat lacking tonnally

but I dont think they are a waste of wood, I just know they arn't the bass for me, this goes back to Deliriums point, everyone is different, and one bassists holy grail is another bassists idea of hell
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Pizza The Hut

I absolutely adore my USA P-Bass. It's by no means perfect though, for what it does, it does it fantastic but I do wish it had a bridge pickup, sometimes I just want a little more bite that you get from a bridge pickup rather than the punch that the precision pickup gives.

Best bass design ever though? I don't think so, my signature model isn't out yet
Quote by Bumper

If he thinks it's the pickups, just change them. It may only need a simple re-wire, pot, capacitor, or pickup change. There are many great after market pickups out there. The P-bass is one of the most versitile basses on the market. Aslo, look into some of the good bass pre-amps, he may just need some tweaking.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A P-bass isn't one of the most versatile basses on the market by far.

I guess that's why it's only been used for, Rock, Metal, Jazz, Country, Gospel, Blues, Fusion, Punk, Rap, Hip Hop, Mowtown, Soul, Funk,.................................Sorry had to do that.
Quote by rexherring
I guess that's why it's only been used for, Rock, Metal, Jazz, Country, Gospel, Blues, Fusion, Punk, Rap, Hip Hop, Mowtown, Soul, Funk,.................................Sorry had to do that.

It isn't versitile at all. It's tone just fits in everywhere though, so it is excellent if you like the one tone it has.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
It isn't versitile at all. It's tone just fits in everywhere though, so it is excellent if you like the one tone it has.

Yeah, sorry rexherring but he's right, I use my P-Bass for all kinds of genres but not because I can change my tone around to suit them, my tone just fits in well with them all, it's not versatile, just multi-talented.
Quote by Bumper

Sorry but I'm not a fan of P-basses. I say just buy a really good jazz bass or a musicman of some kind. They are very versatile and you can choose the tone of liking.
^ A traditional Stingray has just as much tonal variance as a Precision, if less.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I know of which you speak and do agree. (if you only know how to play one way)

I guess after playing for over 35 years, I'm so used to using the neck, strings, picking pacement, fingers or pick, string attack, and finger tension to adjust the sound without touching the amp or very little tone knob use. I find myself using my Dean Hardtail 5 string or Dean 5 string Sledge Hammer the same way. After finding the EQ setting that suits the venue and me, I very seldom adjust it during a set and may play everything from a slow blues to Guns & Roses with a country tune thrown in.(and make it sound different for each)
Quote by thefitz
^ A traditional Stingray has just as much tonal variance as a Precision, if less.

I love the sound of a great Stingray, a Precision bass, or for that matter a Ric. However, they don't scream variety to me. Each of these basses have rather unique sounds that are wonderful in of themselves. Each is a giant within their own distinct tonal space, but again, if you are not looking for that particular sound, should not be within your scope for a bass choice.
He should save his money for when the economy really goes down the ****ter.

Just kidding. Seriously, though, Spectors are amazing. If that's really his price range, he should check out the Euro or US lines.
Page 1 of 2