Sorry if theres already a thread like this but I didn't find one so...

Currently I have a 120W Peavy amp (see sig). This is a great amp but is huge and I can barely carry it down my stairs so this resolves as a problem sometimes I also have a 15W old Epiphone amp which I use my RP250 on which is a hassle to drag around.

SO my question is.... should I buy a 30 watt amp, or something more like a 75 watt? This amp will be used mostly for jamming with friends, and occasionally with the band at our jams. If i go with a 75 watt, would this be a waste if I'm jamming with friends or my band (meaning will the volume never be past 5 or something) or should I go with the 30 watt and push it to top levels?

This amp will most likely be a Spider III - I DONT NEED HATING ON IT

I don't really need amp suggestions, but this is more like how many watts to go with
Ibanez RG350DX - ESP LTD EC-500

Peavey JSX 212 Combo - Digitech RP 250
if you're getting a solid state amp get the 75 watt model for the extra headroom in case you end up needing it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
One more thing I forgot to mention, for the same price a Vox AD30 XT wouldnt be better then a 75 watt Spider III would it? Like its double the watts and more so it should be a better value I think.

get a 35-50 watt valve amp, and crank it up. maybe try the Vox AC-30. a valve amp that is low wattage but cranked up is a better sound than a 12o watt valve amp with the volume at 0,5.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock
get a 35-50 watt valve amp, and crank it up. maybe try the Vox AC-30. a valve amp that is low wattage but cranked up is a better sound than a 12o watt valve amp with the volume at 0,5.

+1
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
it dpends what you want. Honestly ,I would prefer a Spider III. but many others would prefer the Vox amp. if u playing clean, bluesy stuff, then the Vox is the best. if ur playing rock, alternative, or metal, then the Spier III is ok for that. it just has many options.
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by N1ck0
for the same price a Vox AD30 XT wouldnt be better then a 75 watt Spider III would it? Like its double the watts and more so it should be a better value I think.
Couldn't be more wrong.
Quote by ChrisN
Couldn't be more wrong.

Lol is it because people think the Spider III's are that bad or is it because of the tubes?

Quote by N1ck0
Lol is it because people think the Spider III's are that bad or is it because of the tubes?

Kind of, but an amp's wattage is a very bad way to measure it's desirability/value.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I don't care what you want to hear, the Spider is an abysmal amp - the Vox Valvetronix is much better.

Bet amp for you depends on the style of music you play and how much money you have, the only certain thing is that it won't be the Spider.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I don't care what you want to hear, the Spider is an abysmal amp - the Vox Valvetronix is much better.

Bet amp for you depends on the style of music you play and how much money you have, the only certain thing is that it won't be the Spider.

This man speaks the truth.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
N1ck0 - what do you mean by "because of the tubes"?
Search the threads for Spider III and others that might appeal. Also, I think I am in the same boat as you in that I over-bought when I got my 100 watt amp. It's never over 3! - and I wouldn't dream of carrying up and down stairs on a reg basis.

I want to get a tube amp with less watts so I can actually crank it up and feel the tube tone. 30 or 50 watts.

Also we have almost the same set up. You've got a killer amp there. I have a 60 anniv MIM HSS Strat and a Fender FM 2x12 but it is solid state. I like my RP250 because it adds some tube feel.
N1ck0, if you were to sell you're Peavey JSX, and keep the money saved instead of buying a spider, you surely could get a hell of a nice tube amp for around a grand..

And measuring awesomeness in amps due to the wattage is kinda stupid.
Like I'm sure the blackhead 5 watter is a lot better than a 100 watt spider..
why would you go from JSX to spider? are you retarded?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
As far as wattage goes, I gig with a Classic 30 and it's rarely pushed to its limit, or even much past half for that matter. I've gone unmic'd in pretty big clubs. 30 watts tube is all I need and probably all you need as well. If you're going solid state you probably want more wattage since tube amps sound louder to our ears and to avoid SS clipping.

Tonally, you'd be downgrading by a lot if you bought a modeling amp (and I say this having played the Spider, Valvatronix and JSX).

My advice would be to sell the JSX and buy a nice 30-50 watt 112 tube combo, or a tube head and 212 cab. You'll still have good tone and enough power with added portability.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Quote by kool98769
why would you go from JSX to spider? are you retarded?

What do you expect?
Look at how he spelled his name.
Quote by Moe.
What do you expect?
Look at how he spelled his name.

Why don't you stop bumping a month old thread. Are you retarded? And if you would read the 1st post you would see why I want something smaller.

Idiots

Quote by N1ck0
Why don't you stop bumping a month old thread. Are you retarded? And if you would read the 1st post you would see why I want something smaller.

Idiots

Where the hell did you get a month old from? March 16 happened literally ten days ago.

Otherwise, definitely go with a tube amp. You will thank everyone later.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I want to get a tube amp with less watts so I can actually crank it up and feel the tube tone. 30 or 50 watts.

50 is still too big. Even a 30 at cranked volumes you should be wearing ear plugs, no joke. They get LOUD! VERY LOUD!! I can almost guarantee there is no situation for a 50 watt needing to be cranked, besides tone. That would obliderate the rest of your band.
^Yup they are, my Classic 50 was once on volume 3 and i had that ringing thing in my ears . Even a 30 is so loud at volume 3, i had the C30 for a bit and its as loud as the 50. Even my palomino right now which is 15 watts is hela loud, but i can go over half way with it but i like to stay right in the middle because its the safest for my ear
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by acdclandon

nah, he's just too weak to carry a 80 pound amp down some stairs.
TS:
my advice is leave it on half power and take out one of the speakers to do some weight relief. Each speaker is rated at 75 watts, so it should be able to handle the 60 watts (i doubt you'd be cranking it anyways)
If you end up getting a SS amp, i hope that it has a meltdown the day after you get it. It'd be a shame if you downgraded like that.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer