Page 1 of 2
I've got an '04 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt-Top (Trans-Black), and was looking to change a few things. I'm getting a pewter skull-design ring for around the toggle switch, but I also wanted to change the pups, pup-rings, and maybe add some pup-covers to cool out the whole look. I was hoping you guys could suggest some good options for pups to give it a killer metal/punk sound.

Here she is...what should i change? and if you can, what's the cost?
Attachments:
100_2049 (Custom) (2).JPG
Quote by Grimpenguin
new knobs and everything you just said.

ya think? i kinda liked the knobs...the orange adds to the whole evil look, i thought...sorta halloween-ish...
Quote by WillPlayForFood
put in some sick pickup.. I personally hate humbuckers they kinda look ugly.

what do ya suggest? i dont know much bout electronics...gimme some brands/ models...
Quote by Danno13
That doesn't even make sense.

EDIT: to 'sick pickup' kid

i was lost there, too...
another thing, about the action..."lowering" it makes the strings easier to fret, right? i hafta press like hell to fret anything the way it is now...when i get it worked on, what do i tell the tech? i'm obviously not a pro, so i dont need it too easy to play, but ....
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Add a bigsby.

didnt wanna go that extreme, but thanks for the idea...
I wouldn't add covers for the pickups, it looks more cooler without. Buy zebra-colored pickups and it will look awesome.
Quote by HomerSGR
I wouldn't add covers for the pickups, it looks more cooler without. Buy zebra-colored pickups and it will look awesome.

dont know...just sold a Gibby with zebra colored burstbucker-pro's, and i wasnt all that impressed with them...not sure how that would look against the trans-black quilt...

i like the covers on the other LP's, and i think a "midnite chrome" style would look killer if i knew where to get something like that....
Quote by FRDesign
Gold Hardware

when i said "pimp" my epi, i wasnt thinkin the whole 'gold tooth and grill' thing, so im not sure how that would look...could you photoshop your idea? it would be interesting to see what that would look like....

maybe gold hardware with black pup rings/ gold covers and the pewter-skull switch ring?
could be good...

what kinda pups should i upgrade to?
Quote by primeguy31
when i said "pimp" my epi, i wasnt thinkin the whole 'gold tooth and grill' thing, so im not sure how that would look...could you photoshop your idea? it would be interesting to see what that would look like....

maybe gold hardware with black pup rings/ gold covers and the pewter-skull switch ring?
could be good...

what kinda pups should i upgrade to?
WHat do you play, list some bands. And what kind of amp do you have.

Ill mock up a LP with the gold stuff right now.
Quote by FRDesign
WHat do you play, list some bands. And what kind of amp do you have.

Ill mock up a LP with the gold stuff right now.

oh hell, i dunno...
green day, metallica, pistols, slayer, dead kennedys, etc...
the amp i have right now is a marshall g215rcd 50w, but i'm lookin to get a fender frontman 212r 100w when uncle sam gets me that bonus check in a month or 3...
one thing get a tube amp instead of the frontman 212r
epi les pual custom
ad15vt > for sale
valve jr head and cab
bad monkey
the knobs look ****!

get pickups with nickel covers, too!

nice finish though...very nice!
it's a fine line between clever and
stupid
+1 for the bareknuckle pickups-my faves!
stupid
Quote by teleblaster
the knobs look ****!

get pickups with nickel covers, too!

nice finish though...very nice!

thanks on the finish!
however, should i guess what ****! means about the knobs? are they really that bad?
I have a set and theyre the best pickups Ive ever played. Especially the Nailbomb model I have, its incredibly versatile. You should go on the forums on that site and ask question there for specfics. I Emailed Tim the owner of the company (He used to to be in Iced Earth!!! ) and he Emailed me back and was incredibly helpful. Apparently he doesnt mind being inundated with emails, and always replies which is pretty cool. Definately check them out.
hey littlemurph7976, which of the bnk pups would you reccomend for punk/metal?
and you aint kiddin, they are expensive!
lol, you got me first...
Iced Earth, huh? Howard Stern's co-producer Richard Christy was their drummer!
i'll check out the NailBomb model...thanks for the tip!!
there aren't many other choices for a style of pick-up ring....
don't put covers on the pups if you play music with a lot of distortion. I find that they mess with the sound a little, in a bad way.

but put like a SD JB in the bridge or something like that. and put skull or dice knobs on(I've always wanted some of those...)
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by primeguy31
thanks on the finish!
however, should i guess what ****! means about the knobs? are they really that bad?

they bleeped me! anagram of 'hits' for the knobs-yeah, they're THAT bad!

have a good look at the bkp website for the pickups. the names give you an idea of the sound! i love em!
stupid
Quote by teleblaster
they bleeped me! anagram of 'hits' for the knobs-yeah, they're THAT bad!

have a good look at the bkp website for the pickups. the names give you an idea of the sound! i love em!

any idea which model the Datsuns used on "MF from Hell"? they used BKPs, and thats pretty close to the sound i want, if not it exactly....

and damn, i was thinkin the knobs looked cool...black ones, maybe? speed knobs, or top-hats?
Quote by primeguy31
ya think? i kinda liked the knobs...the orange adds to the whole evil look, i thought...sorta halloween-ish...

yea, thats cool, or you could go black

if your looking for a punk look, get a hammer and some sand paper, but personally, you have a pretty sick looking guitar as it is.

Change out teh electronics and the hardware first, Epi's are notorious for crapping out with that sorta stuff. great guitars, crap electronics.

Put in some seymour duncans of some sort with a really beefy sound, keep the paint, maybe add some need knobs, with some locking tuners, and you will have a sleek beast of guitar.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
the general groove seems to be towards seymour duncan pups or those bkp's, which i'm considering...
anyone got a favorite?
and should i change those f'n knobs? you guys got me thinkin on that...
pup rings...black, right? are they pretty much standard, or do they go by year/model/ pups that they go around?...etc?
damn, this epi should be sweet by the time you guys set it up for me....
then i gotta have the action adjusted....cripes...
Take this to the Customizing forum!
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by ketiov

I'd so get those if they came in black.
moved.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
its a crime if you put gold hardware on that thing. It's calling for chrome
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Page 1 of 2