Let me be clearer: If my chord progression is F Am G Am Em Dm etc and I want to solo over this is how do I know which D, A and E I need to strike to represent the minor chords? i.e will they always be flattened
Your question makes no sense. That progression could be in C, so you don't need to flat anything and you would not play a D# over an Em chord.
12 fret fury
no no. This song looks to be in the key of Amin. I don't know where you're getting that D# from. In short an Amin scale will work over the changes. Hope that explained it. Ask if it didn't.

EDIT: whoops I meant CMaj
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by dough boy
Let me be clearer: If my chord progression is F Am G Am Em Dm etc and I want to solo over this is how do I know which D, A and E I need to strike to represent the minor chords? i.e will they always be flattened

You're going to have to clarify your question a little bit more, I did not follow any of that.

In addition, a D# over an Em chord gives you an EmM7 chord, which wouldn't sound too great right before that Dm.

EDIT:
Quote by GITARdud391
Well, I'm pretty sure you just go by the key. And there's no D# in Em.

The progression does not suggest E minor.
Quote by GITARdud391
Well i was just referring to that chord in particular. I'm quite sure what key that chord progression suggests, I'm not that far into my theory knowledge.

That's what I figured you meant, I was attempting to clear that up.
sounds like A minor to me, especially since the only C note in the whole progression is the 3rd of the A minor. i'd stick with A minor. as for D#, if you're doing this modally you could use a D# over the Em chord (but not JUST a D#, you could use it in a run/lick etc) but i wouldn't unless you really know what you're doing and how to use it. and honestly just by asking the question alone i think you prolly aren't there yet.
WO! Sorry to mislead everyone. The chords listed here are the chords used in Losing my religion by REM. I chose it cuz I thought it was simple and assumed, myself, that the song was in the key of Amin. All I wanted to know (because I dont understand how this works) is what would you play over the minor chords? i.e which single note would mirror a Emin or an A minor.
The key of the song seems like Am to me as well (following the same logic as z4twenny). It doesn't matter that there's an E minor chord in there, if you want to keep things simple then you can still use the notes of the A minor scale because Em naturally occurs in the key of A minor. You'll have different notes you might want to accentuate because of the Em chord (such as the G, being the color tone of the chord) in a lead, but the A minor scale will still work.

I'm assuming this is what you meant by "mirroring" the two chords? I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.
Quote by :-D
The key of the song seems like Am to me as well (following the same logic as z4twenny). It doesn't matter that there's an E minor chord in there, if you want to keep things simple then you can still use the notes of the A minor scale because Em naturally occurs in the key of A minor. You'll have different notes you might want to accentuate because of the Em chord (such as the G, being the color tone of the chord) in a lead, but the A minor scale will still work.

I'm assuming this is what you meant by "mirroring" the two chords? I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks man - So you just play a normal E and A in the A minor scale then?
In terms of notes, yes. The A minor scale will have the following chords:

A minor
B diminished
C major
D minor
E minor
F major
G major

So any of the notes from the A minor scale will fit over any of those chords if you're trying to stay completely in key.