Basic question - can musical rythm be learned? or do you need to be a natural?

Do you think john mayer sucked at rythym when he practiced in his bedroom before became an awesome guitarist?

Personally I'm way behind in the area of musical rythm (or music at all). I touched my first instrument, this guitar of mine, only about 8 months ago.

While I feel that I'm getting alot better, I still feel a little robotic in my rythym or just off in general. I feel it gets sometimes better when I get more into the music I'm playing and try to just "let go" with the rhythm but still not that great. I hate practicing with the metronome too, it seems boring and I often go off into my own little internal rhythmic patterns and forget the thing is even on.

Here's some vids of me playing, the older ones obviously suck more, the most recent ones are where I'm at "today". On some of them I can't tell if my crappy webcam recorder is responsible for the skips in rythym or if I really did just mess up that bad - plus the audio/video get out of sync over time in them due to the same reason. I'll get a better one in time.

http://www.dailymotion.com/mlfarrell/video/x4qm80_slide31608_music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_avIPWuRK0
http://www.dailymotion.com/mlfarrell/video/x4mhfj_a-song_music
http://www.dailymotion.com/mlfarrell/video/x4olkh_randomly-playing-in-open-d-tuning_music - well ware that I'm rocking back and forth too much in this one

Don't mindlessly slam my skills plz, only constructive criticisms. I've only been playing for less than a year
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Some start off with a better feel of rhythm than others, but im pretty sure it can be learned as far as i know. I have seen like guitarists on youtube who have alot of technical skill but when it comes to keeping in time etc they are just plain awful. Its good that you notice that you have difficulty with getting the feel of rhythm some do not notice it at all themselves
Rhythm is nothing but (usually) playing power chords while the lead guitarist does sounds people acutally think they are banging their head to. They are really hearing Rhythm mixed with hardcore shredding, which gives it a great effect. Most rhythm guitarists are just put into a band to give a good sound. Sometimes rhythm guitarists also have their moments in band, if they have enough talent to solo.

But rhythm guitar is completly learnable. During the Keyboard solo in "Jump," by Van Halen, after the guitar solo, You can hear a guitar in the back ground holding a chord, which is literally rhythm guitar, except in the sense it is a keyboard instead of lead guitar. "Rock You Like A Hurricane," from the Scorpions, is a greater example. During the intro solo, you can still hear the main riff.

Rhythm guitar is, simpily put, is easy and needed to have good sound in a band. It is very learnable and can make your band very famous.
Quote by EddieRhoads
Rhythm guitar is, simpily put, is easy and needed to have good sound in a band. It is very learnable and can make your band very famous.

Firstly, the statement in bold is very, very wrong.

I think he was asking about actual rhythm and timing in a general musical sense as opposed to playing rhythm guitar; in that case, yes, it can be learned. Work with a metronome, learn all your note/rest values and experiment with different time signatures and tempos to get a feel for as many rhythms as possible.
Last edited by :-D at Mar 16, 2008,
Eventually I want to learn how to be a lead guitarist, but I think trying to do so without knowing basic rythym would be dumb.
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Yes, learning rhythm will be an essential building block before you get into lead. The tips I gave for learning general rhythm can obviously be applied to the guitar. In addition, buy the book Melodic Rhythms For Guitar by William Leavitt. It's very useful for developing your rhythmic abilities, I use it for my jazz lessons and my rhythm has improved greatly. It'll help you work on sight reading too, which is another area most guitarists don't work on often enough.
Quote by EddieRhoads
But rhythm guitar is completly learnable. During the Keyboard solo in "Jump," by Van Halen, after the guitar solo, You can hear a guitar in the back ground holding a chord, which is literally rhythm guitar, except in the sense it is a keyboard instead of lead guitar.

Just have to say i can do that solo on piano/keyboard, yay!
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb