7th song.

I believe this is my strongest acoustic effort to date. It's a mostly fingerpicked acoustic song, with a strong emphasis on bass as well as a good deal of violin-y sweetness.

Crit for crit as always!

Enjoy (or not, at your pleasure ).
Attachments:
Shade Beneath This Oak.zip
Last edited by Broadsword at Jul 1, 2008,
It sounds really good. But your use of time signatures in the intro makes no sense at all. 2 bar of 3/4 and one bar of 2/4 is the same as two bars of 4/4.
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
It sounds really good. But your use of time signatures in the intro makes no sense at all. 2 bar of 3/4 and one bar of 2/4 is the same as two bars of 4/4.

Sometimes you use different time signatures for aesthetic/feeling reasons and sometimes it just makes it easier to read.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by PinkIsCool

Thanks!

I'll be honest with you - my knowledge of time signatures goes very little beyond organizational purposes. I see what you mean about the 4/4 though, it very well could work lol. An error on my part.

As I've said on almost all of the stuff of yours I've critted, it's very Agalloch-y. I liked it all around

Standouts:

Intro
1:06
1:46
Solo
3:18 (Honestly, most beautiful thing I've heard since hearing Chrono Trigger's "Wind Scene")

Excellent, job, m'friend.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Overall, this was pretty fxckin' cool.

Bars 1-6 were awesome, a great way to start the song. The bassline was awesome there.
And when the violin came better, it only got better!

Bars 13 and so on were pretty cool, it would help if you labelled the tab so we know whats an intro, a verse, and so on. Progressive often has tonnes of sections that can't easily be told apart. Which is my biggest problem with the tab (NOT the song).

Bars 17-28 were cool, I can imagine some cool vocals over that. Nothing really wrong with the song so far.

I wasn't fond on 29 and so on, with the triplety thing. But then again, this is prog'. Which is a genre I know next to nothing about. So yeah, if you like it. Go with it.

34 was a nice sort of re-introduction. It continuted very well from the section with the triplets.

Bars 46-55 were awesome, nice chord progression. And when the violin came in, that was very, very, very, very nice .

And the fade out seems the best way to come out of that and go into the next section. Which was also very cool stuff, the chord progression is overused, but you've somehow managed to make it original. Well done!

I think it should end on this;

e B G D A D
1 3 2 3 0 0

Or something, it sounds much bigger. But if you weren't going for that, then what you've done is cool aswell.

Nothing really wrong here. 10/10 as far as I can see.

Well done. Get it recorded

x
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.