ok ive narrowed my new guitar to the mim fender fat strat or epiphone les paul standard. i use a boss ds-1 distortion pedal, i play allot of metal, classic rock which one do u think will be best for what i play?
Neither. The LP has kinda lowish-output humbuckers, and really doesnt sound too great for metal. Go with an Ibanez/ESP/Schecter or change the humbuckers on the LP.
les paul much more versital and strats dont stay in well enough for thrash type metal and single coils suck
^ strats would be ok, if the pups were replaced, especially the SC's, since they squeal on hi- gain. But yeah, stock they wouldn't be good. Again, the LP would be good if you replace the bridge pup. the pup in the neck is good for cleans.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the epi les paul standard
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
i play metallica and is the humbucker on the strat any good for metal? o and i have 400 dollars budget
Quote by sashki
I vote fat strat + a pickup replacement and you're done for life.

Trust me.

if i could change the pick ups witch ones and wat kind?
Quote by thisismyacc
i play metallica and is the humbucker on the strat any good for metal? o and i have 400 dollars budget

havent played a strat in almost 20yrs, and ive been an LP fan for longer, so i gotta say go with the epi...
on your budget, get what you can, then look to upgrade some pups as money allows...but your stock epi LP will rock, trust me.
Mr. Paul wouldn't do you wrong....
You won't get disappointed with the LP, and if you change the pickups and wiring you have a GREAT guitar.