Right, well I have this cheap electric I bought just to fiddle around on, because I thought there's no reason to splash out on an expensive guitar when I'm mainly a bass player.
I bought a smokey amp with it just so I had something to play it on, and it sounded good, but just now I plugged it into my bass amp through my multi-fx pedal and it sounded brilliant! I could get so much variety out of it!

I had heard before that guitars sounded better out of bass amps anyway, but before i could only try it straight through because I didn't have the pedal.

So glad I realised it though, cause I can get a really good electro-acoustic sound out of it, and it sounds so good, thank God for bass amps, they truly are the best.

Even if it is a 15w ashdown after-eight
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
no. guitars don't sound better through bass amps, i'll guarantee it
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Last edited by cerveza at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by cerveza

tried it, they do
Quote by cerveza

Its all preference and if you want a thick, clean, smooth tone like no other - go through a bass head

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonn0
tried it, they do

because a cheap guitar through a bass amp with a multi fx pedal sounds better than a "smokey" amp, doesn't mean any high end guitar will sound better through a good bass amp than a good guitar amp

Quote by Jonnomainman
Its all preference and if you want a thick, clean, smooth tone like no other - go through a bass head

or a good guitar head

Quote by cerveza
or a good guitar head

It's just not the same unfortunatly.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by cerveza
because a cheap guitar through a bass amp with a multi fx pedal sounds better than a "smokey" amp, doesn't mean any high end guitar will sound better through a good bass amp than a good guitar amp

Adam Jones, guitarist of Tool.

Fantastic, versatile tone...

Bass cabinets.
Quote by cerveza

I wasn't comparing it to my smokey amp, i was comparing it to a proper guitar amp, I found out what one sounded like when I took it into my guitar shop
Quote by cerveza

Well the Fender Bassman was certainly popular with a hell of a lot blues, rock and country guitarists. They must be all wrong of course since I have your guarantee.
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at Mar 16, 2008,
and Josh Homme does it, or certainly has done

didn't realise Adam Jones did...just makes me like him a little bit more

listening to Tool right now actually...awesome

but as always, it's a matter of opinion
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
It's funny how guitarists don't want to be associated with the word Bass.. "Bass cabinets make guitars sound goo-" "NO! NO, THEY DON'T!!!"

Anyways, that's all I wanted to say.. I really don't know anything about putting guitars through bass amps.
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Well the Fender Bassman was certainly popular with a hell of a lot blues, rock and country guitarists.

Exactly what I was going to write
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by cerveza

Unless its a bassman.

Every blues guitarist I know will kill for a Bassman amp, esp the reissue version Fender has released. A very good friend actually traded in a very nice guitar amp for one of these and god, the sound is amazing. ANd he is the king of Paul Reed Smith owners and I can assure you, those aren't cheap guitars, son.
for jazzy cleans and basically any other kind of awesome clean tone, then yes guitars sound better...

distortion is another question, however id still say the big muff through the cleans are better than the jvm... just cant stand that guitar amp
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
All I know is that you get an amazingly fuller sound out of bass heads/cabinets. Not only that, but this saves me money on a new guitar amp since I play both.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something... Angus Young used a bass head to record with. So he's obviously wrong right?
If guitars sounded sooo much better through bass amps, then why the hell do that still make guitar amps?? You would think that this would catch on and everybody would play guitars through bass amps. Gonna side with cerveza, a good guitar through a good guitar amp will sound better than a good guitar through a bass amp
I love how people are looking at this in terms of "right" and "wrong"
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
it has more to do with the cabinets and what sound you're looking for. let me tell ya. a guitar sounds godly and really loud through my peavey vb-2 though. if i had a proper eq pedal or rackmount equalizer it'd be amazing! The only wrong combination of amps and guitars is a bass through a guitar amp. oh the ugly sounds.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by hansarvin
EDIT: Forgot to mention something... Angus Young used a bass head to record with. So he's obviously wrong right?

Not the best example man

/acdchate

And it sounds different, not better or worse.
Eh it's the only one I could think of off the top of my head haha, I know he's not that good.