Hey guys,

So I know these things sold for about $1600, new. Id really like to know if anyone has one, or anyone that has played one.

I am seriously considering trading an Ampeg B4 head and an Eden 2x15 cab for it. They run about 1100, and 1000, respectively, new, but I bought them both used for around 1100 total. This will leave me without a bass rig, but I have an old fender guitar amp that doesnt mind being blasted by a bass, for practice anyway.
This Stu Hamm is brand new. The guy bought 2 of them years ago, and has not even played this one. I have a Schecter C4 xxx bass, which will suit all my needs for the rest of my life, and a full, loud, pretyy decent quality bass rig, if I were to ever join a band again......so Im a little torn. I also wouldnt mind the extra room in my house with the bass rig gone.

I am mainly a guitar player and would never mind having one too many guitars. Part 2 of the plan may involve trading the Stu Hamm right after I get it. Possibly for a high end guitar. Im kind of a guitar fiend, and woudl trade for pretty much anything of equivalent value. Does the Stu Hamm hve a reputation of being a sought after Fender Bass? I mean, its a signature, MIA, with a tricked out pre amp.

There is nothing in this review section of this forum, which is fine bc it would be rated all 10s anyway, and havent seen too much anywhere else.

Link to the exact bass,
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UrgeIISHRSM

Please let me know your opinions, the more I look at it, the more I think its a deal I shouldnt pass up.
If you don't buy that, I will hate you.

If you like anything about a Fender, that's a sweet bass. It can get a Jazz sound, it can get a Precision sound, it can get an anything sound. It's probably their best sig model. Not even kidding.

You just gave me more GAS.
It one of very few signature models which could suceed without the name. However, I'd definatelly keep the rig, and save up for the bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'd rather have the Schecter with an amazing rig than the Urge through a guitar amp. I'd say keep the rig.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
I'd rather have the Schecter with an amazing rig than the Urge through a guitar amp. I'd say keep the rig.

makes plenty of sense, but I dont think I will be playin gbass in a band anymore. I jam with ppl all the time, and there are plenty of bass amps amongst friends that I could and do use.
Running thru the guitar amp is just low volume stuff in my practice room, and more often than not, I run the bass thru an Mbox and out the monitors. Obv. still need a bass for screw around with at home, writing songs, etc. My schecter will do all that as well...
I guess what i am more focused on is...does the Stu Hamm have that, "I would kill someone to have it..."
Like I said, if some one were to offer me a high end strat, les paul, etc. it would be shipped right back out to a new owner. Im thinking more about the resale/retrade value. I think its alot easier to hock a bass, rather than an amp/cab package.
So you are going to trade a bass rig for a bass guitar (urge II) who than in his place is traded for a high end guitar...

Why even bother trading it for a bass guitar? Just go to a store and trade them for a guitar straight away.

The bass is meant to be played on not to trade. A bass guitar trough a guitar amp just plain sucks, trust me i have done a long time untill i traded it for a bass amp. While i consider the urge one of the best signatures from fender i would only get it for keeps and only in comination with a good amp.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
The Stu Hamm does seem to be one of those basses that people will say "I would kill to own one" but if you're perfectly content with what you have, I wouldn't give that up.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'd maybe not kill for it...but I'd certainly seriously consider maiming for it

got GAS like a mofo, and I just got a new Fender last week
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
omg...

Yes, I have played this bass, I want it so bad and there's a tragic story about how I was about halfway to getting one, but my heater in my house died and...

*sniffs and puts head in hands*

My teacher owns one and has let me play it on occasion. Its versatile, it has 24 frets, the perfect pup configuration and the neck is Jazz like and fast. It sounds great for tap, slap and just about anything you throw at it. Like others have said, its the only signature bass I would ever own.

And I shall own one, one day!
Quote by anarkee
omg...

Yes, I have played this bass, I want it so bad and there's a tragic story about how I was about halfway to getting one, but my heater in my house died and...

*sniffs and puts head in hands*

My teacher owns one and has let me play it on occasion. Its versatile, it has 24 frets, the perfect pup configuration and the neck is Jazz like and fast. It sounds great for tap, slap and just about anything you throw at it. Like others have said, its the only signature bass I would ever own.

And I shall own one, one day!

That's the spirit...you will prevail

I played one in a shop one day till the fellow made me put it down, glorious neck and p-ups. just glorious. I don't know if i'd give up my whole rig for it though...how quick can you get enough cash to get your equipment, could you hold off and wait to get the urge once you're in a better situation?
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
This is stupid. Don't trade the amps for a bass and then the bass for a guitar. Just straight up sell the amps. You have pretty amazing pieces of gear that you could fetch a grand price for on eBay or something of that nature. Probably almost as much as you bought them for, if they're in good condition. You'll get as much from the amp as from the Urge if not more. The Urge is a great bass, but it's production line, not custom or special edition or anything of the sort so it's not one of those I'll kill for it basses.
don't do it.

the bass will sound like sh.t on the guitar amp compared to the schecter on the rig you currently have.

save some money, sell the schecter.

besides, if its just for screwin around and stuff, why do you need that expensive of a bass?
is one the fews signature models that does not need the name to be sold also Stu hamm is a big name for many bassist so you should do it if you want to trade it
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
This is stupid. Don't trade the amps for a bass and then the bass for a guitar. Just straight up sell the amps. You have pretty amazing pieces of gear that you could fetch a grand price for on eBay or something of that nature. Probably almost as much as you bought them for, if they're in good condition. You'll get as much from the amp as from the Urge if not more. The Urge is a great bass, but it's production line, not custom or special edition or anything of the sort so it's not one of those I'll kill for it basses.

why is it stupid? you just lost your credibility.
The amp sells for more than the Urge? You dont know what you are talking about., buddy. I paid $1100 for the cab and the amp. This bass is brand new (I know ppl say that alot, but its true, it hasnt been played since it was bought).
My cab and amp have been on and off Ebay, and craigslist for a long time. Not even an email from the lookie loos. The numbers say its an equal trade.

.....to everyone else....thanks for the input. To the ppl who say dont do it bc it will sound bad thru a guitar amp....you need to study more, and improve your reading comprehension skills, and not selectively read what you want. Moronic posts come from moronic ppl.

Oh, and if you cant tell, I am not a kid, and dont need to "save up" for gear, but cant say no to a good trade.

I will try to get a pic up.

Link to the ad. If I didnt make it clear, I went thru with the trade, and I think Im pretty happy with it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/msg/600586068.html
Last edited by richgray5 at Mar 16, 2008,
1) I lost my credibility because I called the plan stupid? That makes absolutely 0 sense. What would you have preferred? Unintelligent? Idiotic? Retarded? Brainless? Dumb? Foolish? Ludicrous? Thick headed? Witless? I'm not sure what you're looking for.
2) You have an Eden cab and an Ampeg amp. Will the B4 isn't amazing the 2x15" is, and I can't imagine it not selling for a good hefty price.
3) The bass was bought some years ago, it's not brand new.
4) Maybe I need to explain myself better, and I would appreciate a little less hostility. What I meant by "stupid" was that I fail to see that logic in what you're doing. It seems, from what I inferred from the original post, that your plan A is to keep the Urge and use it. However, you also said that it's just to fiddle with and you don't have alternate bass gear to play it out of, but only a guitar amp. I see no reason to have a very, very good bass to "screw around with" when a mediocre bass will do (like the Schecter). As for the resale value I don't think you'll get much more than a $1000 for the bass, depending on the age of it. You very well might, but I don't think so. My prediction for what'll happen is you trade the rig, you get the Urge, you sell the Urge and break somewhere around even, plus you're out of a bass rig. To me it doesn't seem like all that great of a plan.

That's just my opinion, as much as it pains me to have to say it.

But, reading the last sentence of your post I missed the first time round, you've already traded. Glad I wasted that 5 minutes.
Quote by richgray5
The amp sells for more than the Urge? You dont know what you are talking about., buddy. I paid $1100 for the cab and the amp. This bass is brand new (I know ppl say that alot, but its true, it hasnt been played since it was bought).
My cab and amp have been on and off Ebay, and craigslist for a long time. Not even an email from the lookie loos. The numbers say its an equal trade.

.....to everyone else....thanks for the input. To the ppl who say dont do it bc it will sound bad thru a guitar amp....you need to study more, and improve your reading comprehension skills, and not selectively read what you want. Moronic posts come from moronic ppl.

Oh, and if you cant tell, I am not a kid, and dont need to "save up" for gear, but cant say no to a good trade.

Link to the ad. If I didnt make it clear, I went thru with the trade, and I think Im pretty happy with it.

wow... why dont u insult everyone that tried to help you....
they just didnt think it would be a good idea to throw away your bass amp to get a nice bass guitar and then play it through a guitar amp. You never no what is going to happen in life, what if by some chance you meet an awsome band that is missing a bassist and you get the sudden urge that u want to play for this band. Then you will have to go through the trouble of bying a bass amp again.

your attitude towards the people trying to help you was disgraceful, you ask for help and then condem the people for giving their opinions

You may not be a kid but you surely arent grown up
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by richgray5

I think if you're just a bass hobbyist and that you're not even seriously planning to keep such a nice instrument, then you stole that Urge bass from a REAL bass player who would have used it for its true purpose.

Damn yuppie.
GAS
And fap

But seriously, I've played this bass before [at a shop or from a friend / mentor] and it was fantastic, been GAS'ing for a while. D:

Your rig seems pretty good, i would keep the rig and save up for the bass, Unless it's a limited offer or something.

EDIT: just read on a little,
1. YOU need to do a little research, a bass will not sound that great through a guitar amp, and guess what? you might blow your amp!
2. Trading the bass for a guitar? ARE YOU MAD?! If the bass is just to 'fiddle with' you don't excactly deserve it. If you just want to fiddle, get a middle range squier.
3. This 'credibilty' thing is ironic.
4. You have some great gear, your current bass will sound better through your rig then the urge with a guitar amp.

:/
Last edited by Bass First at Mar 17, 2008,
I have one. Look in my profile pics lol. I wanna sell it though (just spent all my money on a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe). It IS the best bass I have played.
My gear

Les Paul Deluxe
Fender Stu Hamm Urge II (Selling)
Strat
Hudson Electro-Acoustic
Marshall 1923 85th 50W Tube Stack
BLUEROCK BSH2-300G 300 Watt Bass Head (selling)
300 Watt 1 - 15 Bass Cab (selling)

My Band
Quote by Senhin
I have one. Look in my profile pics lol. I wanna sell it though (just spent all my money on a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe). It IS the best bass I have played.
Necropost

*reported*

EDIT: Besides, TS is banned anyway.

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Jul 5, 2009,