i just purchased a mixer to record to my computer. however when it records to my computer, it comes in too low, and when i amplify the sound in audacity you can hear a lot of crackling. here is a recording of it

http://swat.dmusic.com/

its under wind cries mary

can someone help me take away the crackling and have more output from the mic so i dont need to amplify it in audacity
if you're plugging DI to the mixer, you're gonna have to use an amp. if you're micing or di'ing your amp then just turn th volume up on the amp, not the mixer
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
what is a DI?

let me also say i used a line out on one of my pedals to the line in channel 1 and it also had crackeling.
What mixer, what are you running it into what, what are you using to record?
di stand for Direct In. the mixer volume has to be low because the mixer will distort (crackle) more easily than the amp, so the amp is where your power has to be coming from
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
the signal of an acoustic going through a mic to your input will be significantly stronger than the signal of an electric going DI to you mixer
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
btw, are you plugging your mic into LINE in or MIC in?
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
ok good....and you're micing your amp?
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
yes listen to the recording... the amp is loud and the mic is hardly picking it up and its 2 inches from the speaker. and annoying crackling
where are the gain and volume knobs of the mixer?
also, if phanton power (switch at the back) is on, you need to turn it off (might not fix the problem but it will help the quality for sure)
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
ok.....i just re-listened to your recording and it almost sounds like the amp is too loud. odd as it may seem, the mic might not be able to define sounds effectively at high volumes. try backing the mic up about 10 more inches. if that doesn't work, experiment with the switch above the gain knob (the one that says 75Hz). otherwise, i don't think i can solve your problem.....sorry.
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
Not really.

Keep your mic where it is.

Turn your MIC INPUT GAIN, not amp gain, up to about 80% of the gain range.

Your mic volume comes from the preamps gain. You do not want to use the output gain rotary/fader to makeup for lack of volume in the preamp, unless you have its gain range all the way up and you still need 5-10dB of makeup gain.

If that doesn't fix your volume, report back.

As for the clicking, sounds very much like a clocking issue. Check your settings in audacity, what are your samplerate and bitrate set at. 44.1khz, 16bit etc.
The audio sync clock. Samplerate clock. Audio clock. Bit depth clock. Could be called any of those things, should be somewhere under the settings tabs or whatever Audacity has.
it was my computer. i did it on my laptop and its crystal clear with no distortion at all or crackling. thanks guys i guess 64 bit vista still sucks at life
The input level should not go above 0dB. Or elz you'll get crackling and distortion.
Make sure the input level is around -3dB to -4dB, with the peak not going above -2dB. Keep that in check while recording.
We're talking clock interface issues here, not clipping.

Good advice none the less =D

Although with digital I believe it'd be more sound to keep them around -8 to -10dB to allow for any transient peaks to not clip the inputs. You can always bring up low volumes through normalization, but you can't take out preamp clips or distortion.
^ooh, sorry, i didn't really pay much attention to the entire post and i confused clipping with crackling...!