Does leaving your guitar stringless for long periods of time warp or mess up the truss rod and the neck? I've heard conflicting things, some say that leaving them off for just a few days can mess up your truss rod's tension, while others say that they've left their guitars stringless for days on end without any problems.
this sounds like an old wives tale.....but if you plan on leaving a neck stringless for a long period of time...i suppose you could just loosen the tension on the truss rod just in case.....Ive got a guitar thats never even had strings let alone tuners installed on it and its still as straight as chuck norris. I mean think about it....all these guitar manufactures and parts suppliers have un strung necks sitting around boxed up on a shelf somewhere, for who knows how long.....
Well the idea is that the truss rod balances the strain that the strings put on the neck by straining it in the opposite direction, so in theory it could damage the neck. However, I've never heard of anyone's neck snapping from not having strings on it and I've left my guitars without strings on for long periods of time and they are fine.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I was just asking cuz my guitar's developed a ton of annoying buzz and i don't think its the nut, and the action is actually pretty high.
So i figured it was either the truss rod or the frets weren't level or something.
I was thinking the best thing for me to do was to take it down for a set up, but they told me that it would cost $60 for a full set up which is a bit much for me right now
if you leave the strings off a while the neck relaxes and the neck will probalby need an adjustment.

so

now that it's strung,
fret the Low E on the first fret, at the same time,
fret the Low E on the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there, you dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you have too much.

usually, after leaving unstrung, you'll get strings laying close to or on the wire.
measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
if you leave the strings off a while the neck relaxes and the neck will probalby need an adjustment.

so

now that it's strung,
fret the Low E on the first fret, at the same time,
fret the Low E on the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there, you dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you have too much.

usually, after leaving unstrung, you'll get strings laying close to or on the wire.
measure and repost.

By last fret do you mean the very last fret on the fretboard? Or the point where neck first makes contact with the body. I have an Epi LP if that helps
see the line right after the bold? says "where the neck and body meet"

fret there and at the top.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Well, the space between the 8th fret and the low E string was less than 0.5mm, its almost touching. I couldn't really fit a library card (which i used instead of a credit card) in without lifting the string
if you want to adjust the neck, then use the correct sized allen wrench and slack the strings just enough to get to the truss rod nut.

you can turn the truss rod nut 1/8" Counter clockwise. That's a very small amount.

tune up the guitar afterwards an let it sit for an hour.
after an hour remeasure, and if needed, you can adjust another 1/8" today.
total adjustment for the day would be 1/4"

dont force a turn, only turn that small amount, and leave the guitar tuned up while it settles.

if the guitar still buzzes, then repost with which strings and at which frets buzz.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62