So I recently picked up a Peavey Classic 30 amp but it seems to making some wierd noises. With the guitar plugged in (Gibson Les Paul Studio) on low volume (2-3 on guitar and 2-3 on the amp) it makes a buzzing noise that goes away if I touch any of the strings. Now if I turn the volume up on either the guitar or amp (up being past 5-6) I will hear this high pitch squeek slowly fade louder and louder until it is really really loud. If I don't have the guitar plugged in (ie just the patch chord plugged in) the buzz it still there but not as loud and I don't get the high pitch squeek. If the patch cord is not plugged in at all, the amp seems fine (just a faint hiss, no buzz).

Anyone know what is causing this? I have tried it in different rooms in my house (on different plugs) and it is a new house so I'm sure the grounding is okay.

Thanks
i dont know about the squeak bu the hum your talking about it normal. if you really want to get rid of it, get a noise suppressor which should also solve your squeak too
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Some hum like that is normal. If its really bad though, you guitar has a ground loop problem. You'll have to get that checked out.

About the amp, I thought it was bad tubes. Does that amp even have tubes though? If its not a tube amp, try stepping away from the amplifier/using different cables.
WTLTL 2011
The buzzing is a grounding issue. That high pitched sound you're hearing is feedback. Don't crank the amp up so much if you're right in front of the amp.
How far away am I suppose to be? It happens about 7 feet way, I can't really go much further unless I play outside the room.
Yeah mine does it as well.
A noise suppressor is the best way to go.
Boss sell them for about $150AUD, idk how much they are in the US tho.

I need one so bad.
I love white guitars!
Hahahah..

The only time i had this happen I was using active pups. I looked down
to figure it out and when i looked at my cable...it said..Radio Shack
lol...nuff said.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett