Recently I've been growing out of Cliff Burton fanboy mode (I guess a year is recent), and been checking various bass players, mainly Bootsy Collins, Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius, then went to the underground/hardcore punk scene, and listened to a few Dead Kennedys songs and can clearly hear some good fun playing going on from the bass player (sorry I'm fairly new to'em don't know his name) and the bass player from S.O.D (Scott Ian's other band) and just wondered if anyone knows some other good punk/crossover Thrash bass players/basslines?
Quote by ChorusPedal88
Recently I've been growing out of Cliff Burton fanboy mode (I guess a year is recent), and been checking various bass players, mainly Bootsy Collins, Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius, then went to the underground/hardcore punk scene, and listened to a few Dead Kennedys songs and can clearly hear some good fun playing going on from the bass player (sorry I'm fairly new to'em don't know his name) and the bass player from S.O.D (Scott Ian's other band) and just wondered if anyone knows some other good punk/crossover Thrash bass players/basslines?

Congratulations, now you wont immortalise him as something he was never and will never be - a great, god-like bassist.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Try out some Coheed and Cambria. Pretty much all of their songs have really good bass parts, the older stuff especially. The bass player in Dance Gavin Dance, a really cool hardcore/metalcore band, has some cool bass parts.
The Dead Kennedy's bassist is Klaus Flouride. He's one of my favourite punk bassists. Off the top of my head, I would also recommend JJ Burnell (Stranglers) and Mike Watt (Minutemen and fIREHOSE), and Paul Simonon (Clash). Also, check out the Damned--they've had more bassists than I can count, and even Lemmy from Motorhead held up the low end for them for a period of time.
Quote by Jonnomainman
Congratulations, now you wont immortalise him as something he was never and will never be - a great, god-like bassist.

Lol definately , dont get me wrong, he made me pick up a bass, but I got bored of constantly hearing the same thing over and over.

Ahhh Klaus, thats the fella, yeah he sounds great can clearly hear him on Bedtime for Democracy/Frankenchrist

Thanks for the reccomendations guys, I'm checking'em out on YouTube right now.
Bad Brains.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Bad Religion is considered by some to be hardcore punk, and Jay Bentley is a helluva bass player. Listen to tracks like "Epiphany", "In The Night", or "Inner Logic". There are tons of others, too.
Listen to Void. They're the only crossover band you'll ever need.

edit: and my hardcore punk loving friend says Corrosion of Conformity is amazing.
edit2: and minor threat has some cool bass intros. plus their songs are orgasmic
Last edited by OrangePossum at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by OrangePossum
Listen to Void. They're the only crossover band you'll ever need.

edit: and my hardcore punk loving friend says Corrosion of Conformity is amazing.
edit2: and minor threat has some cool bass intros. plus their songs are orgasmic

Corrosion of Conformity aren't really hardcore or punk... more like southern-tinged metal. But not at all like Pantera.

Anyways, check out Cro-mags, Bad Brains, AFI (anything before and including Sing the Sorrow), Black Flag
Corrosion of Conformity were a harcore band when they started. They went more metal after Pepper keenan joined. Their first two or three albums are hardcore, but I cant remember them off the top of my head.

The bass player from SOD is Dan Lilker. He was the original bass player for Anthrax, so check out their first album (Anthrax is brilliant even after he left, check out the album Among The Living to hear Frank Bello thrashing away. he's good). Dan Lilker went on to form Nuclear Assault, and they are definately more of the hardcore/thrash sound.

If you are into the hardcore/thrash crossover, you might also like some metalcore bands. Its a little less punk than the crossover stuff, but there are some great bass players (Ryan Wombacher from Bleeding Through is really good and plays some great stuff).The bass player from Shadows Fall is also great, as is Paolo from Trivium (although if you are bored with Cliff there's no point listening to Paolo ). Derek Harn from Himsa is pretty good too.
Wow, some of these bands are great!, I must just out more of the underground punk scene, thanks alot, keep'em coming!
Joe Lally from Fugazi is probably my favourite punk bass player, especially on 'Repeater' he has some amazing grooves going there
Quote by Annihilator666
Check out Municipal Waste, they have plenty of sweet bass lines.

Oh yes, MW slay!

Landphil is a killer bass player with one of the best tones in metal around. met him at the show I went to last month, great guy as well.

http://www.myspace.com/municipalwaste
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Another I would check out is Death From Above 1979. Very, very fun bass lines, esp. if its just you and a drummer.
i really like NOFX. why don't you learn the decline in its entirety... m kay?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I know a lot of people may have to look twice at this, but Slayer are the epitome of hardcore punk/ crossover thrash. Seriously.

Although Undisputed Attitude (their "officially punk" album) was a bit sh*t.

But... Slayer? If they're crossover and not just thrash metal, then what is thrash metal?

IMO, Slayer could possibly be the epitome of crossover thrash (so long as it's explained how), but not hardcore punk. Black Flag and Cro-mags are hardcore punk and that's that.
Rawr I Will Eat You
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
What you have to remember is that thrash and hardcore in the states were evolving at pretty much the same time. and all these bands used to play with each other, whether they were metal or punk or whatever.

Thrash was basically taking the speed and aggression of hardcore and adding it to the musicality of the NWOBHM bands (iron maiden etc.). Bands like Minor Threat and DKs had a huge influence on Slayer, just like bands like Discharge and Misfits did on Metallica.The crossover sound came later in the 80s, when hardcore bands starting adding more metal riffs and solos to their songs.

Thanks Delirium for reminding us all of Slayer, who i agree are pretty hardcore for a thrash band. Their riffs are pretty straight-forward and simple (compared to some other thrash bands) and even Tom Araya's vocals are closer to hardcore yelling than singing...
Quote by to_the_grave
What you have to remember is that thrash and hardcore in the states were evolving at pretty much the same time. and all these bands used to play with each other, whether they were metal or punk or whatever.

Thrash was basically taking the speed and aggression of hardcore and adding it to the musicality of the NWOBHM bands (iron maiden etc.). Bands like Minor Threat and DKs had a huge influence on Slayer, just like bands like Discharge and Misfits did on Metallica.The crossover sound came later in the 80s, when hardcore bands starting adding more metal riffs and solos to their songs.

Thanks Delirium for reminding us all of Slayer, who i agree are pretty hardcore for a thrash band. Their riffs are pretty straight-forward and simple (compared to some other thrash bands) and even Tom Araya's vocals are closer to hardcore yelling than singing...

Name a thrash band that sings?
Quote by Charlatan_001
Name a thrash band that sings?
What question was that?
Quote by to_the_grave
Testament, Hirax, Megadeth, Metallica, Death Angel, Mercyful Fate...shall I continue?

Mercyful Fate and Death Angel yeah I guess... but the rest are pretty iffy. Chuck Billy doesn't really "sing"; Mustaine sneers; Hetfield sings NOW, but when Metallica were thrash, it was not what I'd consider singing.

I guess my definition of "singing" is something almost power metalish, Barlow style.
I love NOFX and Rancid. Great bass players, not sure how crossover punk thrash they are, but definitely great punk