I'm taking this rock history course at a local community college, and i had to write a paper about who influenced rock and roll. I also had to put in my top 5 bands and songs and the first rock song i remember hearing. He wanted it to be two pages long, so obviously I can't put every influential artist in. I put a space between each paragraph here so you guys can read it easier.

Of all the modern styles of music, rock and roll by far is the most unique and
the most varying in its origins. Rock and roll was brought about by the combination
of gospel, country, jazz, and blues music. Although it is virtually impossible to list
every artist that made rock and roll what it is today, there are several artists that
deserve a mention.

The earliest influences of rock music were black gospel singers. The beginnings of black gospel music were found in black Africans that were taken as slaves to the United States. This form of music progressed as black slaves perfected the call-and-responce style of singing in religiously themed songs about oppression and delivery. This style of singing was brought back in the early 1900's by black vocal groups such as The Lomaxes and The Graves.

As the black gospel influenced style of music grew in popularity in Missippi and the
other parts of the south, different forms of black music also began to gain popularity.
The growth and popularity of the gospel style of black music eventually led to the creation of the blues. The blues unarguably had the largest influence on what would come to be known as rock music. Some of the most important and influential blues musicians were W. C. Handy, who is known as the "Father of the Blues"; Howlin' Wolf; Albert King; Robert Johnson; and T-Bone Walker, who helped to invent modern blues. These artists set trends in vocal melody and guitar playing that would influence countless musicians.

Blacks weren't the only Americans experiencing a musical revolution, though. Country and bluegrass music was gaining popularity among white Americans. White musicians Jimmie Rodgers and Bill Monroe, who was called "the father of bluegrass", began to tear down the race barriers in music by playing songs inspired by black blues artists. Other country artists, such as The Monroe Brothers, popularized a more white version of country music. Country music eventually created the legend
that would be called Elvis Presley. Presley took songs created by black blues artistsand game them a white country edge. This reprecussions of this were great, for Elvis greatly diminished the color line between races in the youth of
America.

Although Presley's music opened up rock music for whites, there are two men who are largely credited with the actual creation of rock music. The first of these is Richard Penniman, more commonly known as Little Richard. Little Richard found his start as a musician at a young age playing piano and singing in a local church. Church music lacked the intensity that Little Richard needed to express himself, however, and as a teenager he left home. Little Richard played with various musical acts until obtaining a record contract with RCA Records at age 18. Unfortuately, Little Richard's projects at RCA never sold well, and he finally left to join Specialty Records. There at Specialty Records, Little Richard recorded the song "Tutti Frutti". "Tutti Frutti" became incredibly popular and was even played on white pop radio stations. "Tutti Frutti" cointensity contained and soul that most whites had not experienced before. Little Richard recorded several more hits until leaving the music world to be a pastor in 1957. He eventually came back to the music scene, but his music was never the same. Although his fame was short lived, Little Richard's intensity, piano playing, and singing style influenced several bands in the decades to come.

The second man who is largely credit with the creation of rock music is Chuck Berry. Chuck Berry is known as one of the most influential guitar players of his time period. Chuck Berry combined the guitar stylings of both country and blues music
into a style of music that was uniquely his. Chuck Berry first found success with his song "Maybellene", which became one of the first nationwide rock and roll hits. Chuck Berry released several more hit songs, such as "Roll Over Beethoven", before
going to prison in 1962. He was released two years later, but had great difficulty in reproducing the hits of his earlier career. Eventually, Berry released the song "Tulane", which is reagarded as one of the greatest songs of his career. After serving another prison sentance, Berry's career came to a close. His legacy still lives on in the countless guitarists who have followed in his footsteps.

As rock and roll grew in popularity, Americans found that it was impossible to contain within their borders. In England, artists such as Elvis, Chuck Berry, and
Buddy Holly were becoming increasingly popular. Rock music had an especially profound effect on four adolescent boys, named John, Paul, George, and Richard. These four would become The Beatles, who are remembered as one of the most popular musical groups of all time. The Beatles started in the mid 50's as the group
The Quarrymen. By 1962, the band had changed its name to The Beatles and featured the line up the world has come to adore. The Beatles exploded onto the British music scene with the song "Please Please Me", which held the number one spot on the British charts for thirty consecutive weeks. The Beatles continued to take England by storm, but failed to become popular in the United States. All of that changed when The Beatles released their song "I Want To Hold Your Hand." The Beatles found themselves firmly established as the most popular musical act in both England and the United States. The Beatles went on to release several ground breaking albums. In 1970, growing tension between the band members caused The Beatles to split up. Even though The Beatles career was only seven years long, they left behind them a tremendous legacy and influenced almost every rock band that came after them.

There's more to it, but this is the part I want critiqued. thanks
I'll I have to say about it is that the 1st and 2nd, as well as the 5th, 6th, and 7th paragraphs could transition from one to the next more smoothly.
We're only strays.
I didn't read the whole thing, but in the last paragraph, you say "The Beatles" at least fifteen different times. Ideally, you say the name once, then whenever you need to mention them again, you insert a different word instead, such as "they" or "the band" or something else that fits.

good luck
Quote by samick007
I didn't read the whole thing, but in the last paragraph, you say "The Beatles" at least fifteen different times. Ideally, you say the name once, then whenever you need to mention them again, you insert a different word instead, such as "they" or "the band" or something else that fits.

good luck

Really? I was taught the exact opposite thing, heh.

and i'll work on the transitions, thanks
Quote by Spamwise
As rock and roll grew in popularity, Americans found that it was impossible to contain within their borders. In England, artists such as Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly were becoming increasingly popular. Rock music had an especially profound effect on four adolescent boys, named John, Paul, George, and Richard. These four would become The Beatles, who are remembered as one of the most popular musical groups of all time. They started in the mid 50's as the group The Quarrymen. By 1962, the band had changed its name to The Beatles and featured the line up the world has come to adore. They exploded onto the British music scene with the song "Please Please Me", which held the number one spot on the British charts for thirty consecutive weeks. The group continued to take England by storm, but failed to become popular in the United States. All of that changed when their song "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was released. They found themselves firmly established as the most popular musical act in both England and the United States. They later went on to release several ground breaking albums. In 1970, growing tension between the band members caused them to split up. Even though their career was only seven years long, they left behind them a tremendous legacy and influenced almost every rock band that came after them.

This is a very very rough idea, but just add some variety. Otherwise it gets boring.
Quote by Spamwise
Really? I was taught the exact opposite thing, heh.

and i'll work on the transitions, thanks

hmm that's weird, but I guess if you were taught that way then that's probably the way that the teacher wants it. to me it seems very unintelligent though to use the same word over and over.
Last edited by samick007 at Mar 16, 2008,

hmm that's weird, but I guess if you were taught that way then that's probably the way that the teacher wants it. to me it seems very unintelligent though to use the same word over and over.

Well it's a different teacher, so I don't know..I agree that it sounds weird though. The way you did it actually seems better, so I think I'll use that regardless. He's not a grammar teacher, so I doubt he'll care.

I'm kind of surprised that theres a rock history class though...

Yeah, haha. I'm still in highschool, so i'm only taking one class per quarter. I was going to take this other class, but i couldn't make the time. It's 3 credit hours though.
i think you missed an interesting angle to explore, which is the way white people adopted 'black' music whilst at the same time rejecting integration with black people. i think there are some interesting things going on with these tensions. perhaps.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i think you missed an interesting angle to explore, which is the way white people adopted 'black' music whilst at the same time rejecting integration with black people. i think there are some interesting things going on with these tensions. perhaps.

yeah, well this paper was about who we thought influenced rock and roll. i forgot to mention that. You're right though. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to go into that and influential artists and not go above two pages.
Quote by slappymoe66
There is no paper, therefore you fail.

Spamwise is god. Therefore you fail.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Quote by Mental-lica
Spamwise is god. Therefore you fail.

Clapton is God, therefore you fail.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Clapton is God, therefore you fail.

Mustaine is God, Therefore you fail
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.