I dunno why but my strumming totally sucks.Ive been playing for 4 years(mainly metal).Ive learnt some challenging pieces but over that time i realised my strumming was rather random and i didnt really know any patterns.
Over the last few months Ive went back to square one and learnt a few basic strumming patterns,but when Im listening to songs(even ones that are considered easy) I cant get the strumming patterns or it sounds choppy.
Any help at all would be great

Also jus remembered.Im a bit confused cos a lot of people say "whatever happens your strumming arm never stops moving" but in a lot of songs there are quite big pauses,i dont know whether to a few ups and downs not hitting the strings or not move my hand at all.
This is really embarassing to go this far back after this long but i really wanna feel comfortable with my playing in all areas
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2T Dinky
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Antares 12 String Acoustic
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Last edited by Crazy Toad at Mar 16, 2008,
Sing the song in your head, then kinda strum to the lyrics. I'm not sure if that helps, but that's what I do for most songs.
sigh...
ya singing it really helps me a lot. it might be kind of hard to concentrate on creating patterns and singing at the same time but remember, your singing doesnt have to be good if youre just doing it to look for a strumming pattern.
yeah its helping and what Im playing sounds fine but it doesnt really follow the original patterns
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Sorry for the double post but another thing is what I said in the last paragraph,thats causing me a lot of problems
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01