do ya think with the release of the killer ant(1/2 watt tube amp) for a relatively cheap price, that Zvex is gunna have to reconsider their marketing strategy????
Prong =
I think the market for zvex's tiny ass amp is pretty small to begin with. Id say a huge portion of his income is in his pedals, which the amp will have no effect on.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Zvex has had a half-watt amp for a while now, before Blackheart was even around.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Zvex has had a half-watt amp for a while now, before Blackheart was even around.

I think that is what the TS means. Zvex will maybe have to reduce the price of their half watter because of the Blackheart.
Quote by mr_hankey
No, since they're not very similar.

But the Zvex is damn near $500 ,the Blackheart is only supposed to be $139
They're both 1/2 watt amps, Very similiar
Prong =
Regardless of their similarities, I stand by what I said before. I doubt zach's 1/2 amp provides a substantial portion of his income
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by clodzilla319
But the Zvex is damn near $500 ,the Blackheart is only supposed to be $139
They're both 1/2 watt amps, Very similiar

The wattage is the only similarity. They're meant for different kinds of players. The big selling point of the Nano is the size.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Mar 16, 2008,
The wattage is the only similarity. They're meant for different kinds of players.[/QUOTE]
how So???
Prong =
Vex doesn't really need to worry because A), I don't think he really cares, and B), they're a completely different price range. The Nano is targeted towards those rich buggers who can spend $500 on a 1/2 watt amp, and the Blackheart is targeted towards the less rich who can only spend $140 on a 1/2 watt.
Wait, so the killer ant will be 1/2 a watt?
I've heard other places say that it'll be a full watt.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

yeah, i mean, the 1/2 watt difference would definitely be a deal breaker for me.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by darkarbiter7

A whole watt?

Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
You know what I mean.
I've been reading the descriptions which said that it'll be 1 watt RMS.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
A watt? Is it loud? Can you even hear it?
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
Yeah, even half a watt is still loud. 5 watts shakes my room.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by acdcrocks0323
One watt is still pretty loud.

i think you missed the point. there are lots of factors that affect how loud an amp is besides its wattage. so the 1/2 watt difference is pretty much meaningless.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I understand that but 1 watt tube through any normal speaker is still prety loud.

it may be. but there is no reason to suggest its very different in terms of loudness to 1/2 watt. which is the entire point of my original post.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
it may be. but there is no reason to suggest its very different in terms of loudness to 1/2 watt. which is the entire point of my original post.

1/2 watt=1/2 volume of 5 watt
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
1/2 watt=1/2 volume of 5 watt

yes. but we are talking between the difference between 1/2 a watt and 1 watt.
Quote by clodzilla319
ninja like editing skills you've got!!!!

Non-ninja like quoting skills you've got!

For the answer to your question, refer to cokeisbetter's post.
Completely different markets. There are other boutique 1W amp makers out there, too, who aren't concerned about the Killer Ant. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this thing. I wonder what the market really is for it. Might be worth buying one only because I could envision it being discontinued not too long from now.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
so the 1/2 watt difference is pretty much meaningless.

Not so. If it were 1/2 watt different the other way, it wouldn't make any sound at all.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Not so. If it were 1/2 watt different the other way, it wouldn't make any sound at all.

Nice try, but it doesn't work that way.
Quote by mr_hankey
Nice try, but it doesn't work that way.

My statement was meant as a joke, but I was pretty much under the impression that an amp with zero watts wouldn't amplify the signal at all.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
So what are these two amps differences in sounds when you're saying that they're meant for two different kinds of players?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
So what are these two amps differences in sounds when you're saying that they're meant for two different kinds of players?

From what i heard, the Zvex has ridiculous amount of technology in it, whilst the blackheart is something you could easily make yourself at home, if you had the bits and pieces.

Anyway, someone should buy the ant, and post the schematics online

It could be the best noob build ever.
^^Ever thought that the one that costs more is better? Anyways, I wasn't asking what the difference was in price or brand, I was asking for the sound difference.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
The Zvex most probably sounds superior. One is made using the cheapest crap they could find in china, and the other one is made boutiqe by a dude who values quality, and uses the best bits and pieces he can find.

I heard that the zvex is hell loud too.
The ZVex is a rather high gain little amp. Definitely designed for those applications at recording levels. Also has quite a few features on it for such a little thing. A couple different tone controls. It's very cool for what it is.

I believe the Ant to be more of a classic rock amp. And, as said, a cheaply built one. But I haven't seen any specifics on it yet. I don't even know what kind of tube it uses for power.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.