Poll: Best Fat, Lead, Distorted Amp? (AKA, great for solos) PS: NOT METAL
Poll Options
View poll results: Best Fat, Lead, Distorted Amp? (AKA, great for solos) PS: NOT METAL
Peavey JSX
11 24%
Carvin Legacy
9 20%
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
6 13%
Soldano SLO-100
15 33%
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
17 37%
Peavey 5150 III
6 13%
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
6 13%
Genz Benz El Diablo
3 7%
Voters: 46.
I was wondering what you guys think could give the best lead, fat tone.

Carvin Legacy
Peavey JSX
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
------------
OhMyGosh123
Last edited by OhMyGosh123 at Mar 16, 2008,
Stay away from the Carvin. What kind of lead tone?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Sorry
The rest of the choices are

Soldano SLO-100
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Peavey 5150 III
Genz Benz El Diablo

PS: if theres an even BETTER one, then please state so in comments below.
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by gwitersnamps
Stay away from the Carvin. What kind of lead tone?

Please give a reason.

The Legacy has ripping lead tone.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I tried the Dual Rectifier and it has great lead tone with versatility. The Mesa/Boogie Lonestar has even fatter tone but not as versatile and isn't great with high gain... but FAT!

Yes, I have played them. No I don't own them
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
I'm talking about a tone like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, anything (one) that can make the best tone for solos.
------------
OhMyGosh123
Please give a reason.

I tried it out at the carvin outlet, so you'd think they'd have a good one. The speakers were fizzy, the tone was thin. . . The only player who really uses it is Steve Vai, and, well, have you ever SEEN his effects chain? How much of his sound is REALLY his amp?
Although, carvin just reissued one of their old amps, and I've heard great things about that one. Give that a shot.

BTW, the Boogie Mk IV is killer, but pricey.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by Doodleface
Please give a reason.

+10000
------------
OhMyGosh123
SLO... if you actually have the money.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by gwitersnamps
I tried it out at the carvin outlet, so you'd think they'd have a good one. The speakers were fizzy, the tone was thin. . . The only player who really uses it is Steve Vai, and, well, have you ever SEEN his effects chain? How much of his sound is REALLY his amp?
Although, carvin just reissued one of their old amps, and I've heard great things about that one. Give that a shot.

By the sounds of that, you clearly were playing it at bedroom levels. The Legacy is equipped with V30's and happens to be one of the tightest cab (2x12 and 4x12) and combo I've ever played. Not only that, but the combo has the option of having an open or closed back. I took the back off my Legacy today and wish I did it sooner. There's quite a difference with the open back compared to closed back. It has more umph and really comes alive. Not only is the Legacy one loud ass amp, with the open back it fills the room a lot better than having the back closed. The EQ's are sensitive, so slight changes are audible.

The Legacy has the best cleans of any amp I've played to date, and I'm not just saying that because I own the combo. It's tone is far from thin. It's a very warm amp and gets smoother the more you crank it. It is THE lead players amp. You should have more experience with a piece of gear before making BS comments.

Vai is the only player who uses the Legacy? Are you lost? What about his effects? Believe it or not, his rig is wired and bypassed very well to maintain the amps natural characteristics. You want to know how much of his sound is really the Legacy? Listen to The Ultra Zone and Real Illusions:Reflections. They're both nothing but his Legacy's and sound very raw/unprocessed, so you're truly hearing the Legacy in action. Better yet, see him live if you want to really hear the Legacy.
5150 is a poor SLO clone, but a clone none the less. Best lead tone is clearly a Marshall JMP cranked.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by RHCPfan01
5150 is a poor SLO clone, but a clone none the less. Best lead tone is clearly a Marshall JMP cranked.

Actually, I think the 5153 is a brand new amp Eddie made with Fender.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Out of all of those, it's hard to choose the best for a lead tone, but the Dual Recto is by far the worst for lead imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Guitarmiester
By the sounds of that, you clearly were playing it at bedroom levels. The Legacy is equipped with V30's and happens to be one of the tightest cab (2x12 and 4x12) and combo I've ever played. Not only that, but the combo has the option of having an open or closed back. I took the back off my Legacy today and wish I did it sooner. There's quite a difference with the open back compared to closed back. It has more umph and really comes alive. Not only is the Legacy one loud ass amp, with the open back it fills the room a lot better than having the back closed. The EQ's are sensitive, so slight changes are audible.

The Legacy has the best cleans of any amp I've played to date, and I'm not just saying that because I own the combo. It's tone is far from thin. It's a very warm amp and gets smoother the more you crank it. It is THE lead players amp. You should have more experience with a piece of gear before making BS comments.

Vai is the only player who uses the Legacy? Are you lost? What about his effects? Believe it or not, his rig is wired and bypassed very well to maintain the amps natural characteristics. You want to know how much of his sound is really the Legacy? Listen to The Ultra Zone and Real Illusions:Reflections. They're both nothing but his Legacy's and sound very raw/unprocessed, so you're truly hearing the Legacy in action. Better yet, see him live if you want to really hear the Legacy.

+999999
BUT
a lot of his tone has a lot to do with his fingers, but otherwise, I 99% agree.
------------
OhMyGosh123
If you want a liquid lead tone, i'd say the Mark IV. the Rectifier's are great but theres better for shredding.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I'm surprised the JSX and the Legacy were beaten by the Mark IV!!
but I have to admit, the mark IV is great.
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by OhMyGosh123
I'm surprised the JSX and the Legacy were beaten by the Mark IV!!
but I have to admit, the mark IV is great.

That it is.

I'd take a look at the Carvin V3.
I'd go for a JCM 800 or a Plexi, although I may be slightly biased lol

Out of your list, i'd probably go for the JSX.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
SLO100 is a lead players dream IMO, if I could afford to grab an amp just for leads, SLO would be near the top. The Mark IV is also a great lead amp IMO, very liquidy gain, almost seems to compliment your playing rather than fight it like some amps. I like both their rhythm tones too. I like the JSX and Legacy lead tones, not as fussed about their rhythm tones however, at least for the stuff I like to play. YMMV
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by the.spine.surfs

I'd take a look at the Carvin V3.

People say that the V3 is better.. but from what I have seen/played/heard, the Legacy is much better (plus cheaper)....
------------
OhMyGosh123
If you have the money for an SLO, I'd check out the Boogie Roadking. The lead tone on it smokes the mark IV's lead tone, not to mention the amount of versatility built in that amp.

The mark is great, but IMO, kind of limited, you have a clean, cruchy, lead channel, then control of the EQ, which is usually used for the lead channel 100% of the time anyway. The Roadking gives you 4 true channels, each of which you have a ton of control over. The cleans are just as amazing as the mark, and you have the ability to assign specific tubes per channel to expand the versatility some more. Amazing amp, defintly consider one.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by OhMyGosh123
People say that the V3 is better.. but from what I have seen/played/heard, the Legacy is much better (plus cheaper)....

That depends what exactly you're looking for. The Legacy is a lead players amp, but lacks in the rhythm department, which is where the V3 one ups the Legacy.
Quote by Guitarmiester
That depends what exactly you're looking for. The Legacy is a lead players amp, but lacks in the rhythm department, which is where the V3 one ups the Legacy.

Yeah that would make sense.
Thanks for the info
------------
OhMyGosh123
SLO 100 +1 seriously buddy that amp is soo versitile if you ever do get into metal you will be able to use it but it can still do fat clean and stuff like that.
Quote by convictionless
SLO 100 +1 seriously buddy that amp is soo versitile if you ever do get into metal you will be able to use it but it can still do fat clean and stuff like that.

lol i like metal https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=13323358#
i was just asking everyone about NON metak amps tho,
cuz i ahve to admit,
people on this site tend to only recomend metal amps.
------------
OhMyGosh123