If i leave my Schecter Hellraiser in drop A# for a long time, should I get the truss rod adjusted? I have 10s on it, and its sounds great, but im not sure if i should adjust it or leave it alone.

Thanks

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

^Why's that?

Contrary to popular belief, the truss rod does not bend the neck back by itself; it merely counters the tension exerted by the strings.

Therefore, don't bother unless you notice that something gets screwed up.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Why's that?

Contrary to popular belief, the truss rod does not bend the neck back by itself; it merely counters the tension exerted by the strings.

Therefore, don't bother unless you notice that something gets screwed up.

Exactly, so if his strings are set up to drop A# and his truss rod is set up to counter act standard tuning, his guitar neck will warp inward unless he loosens it up a little.
sorry about the forum thing, guess i clicked the wrong one.
So i shouldn't worry about it too much then?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

well keep your guitar in standard tuning and you wont have a problem.
i don't want to play in standard. Im experimenting right now, and i found this and love it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

^He wants to tune down; piss off. (UVG)

Quote by ouchies
Exactly, so if his strings are set up to drop A# and his truss rod is set up to counter act standard tuning, his guitar neck will warp inward unless he loosens it up a little.
A truss rod doesn't exert any pressure! It just makes the neck harder to bend. You could leave strings off of your guitar and it would be fine.
You can adjust the amount of tension the rod can handle.

But then I feel like you would just want the maximum amount of tension counteraction, not the ability to adjust it, unless it could bend your neck the wrong way.

Except I'm pretty sure you can leave the strings off a guitar and have the neck be fine.

Hmmm......
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You can adjust the amount of tension the rod can handle.

But then I feel like you would just want the maximum amount of tension counteraction, not the ability to adjust it, unless it could bend your neck the wrong way.

Except I'm pretty sure you can leave the strings off a guitar and have the neck be fine.

Hmmm......

No, i'm pretty sure you are wrong, but okay.
After some research, it appears that you can set the truss rod to just counteract the tension of the strings or to really tug on the neck and bend it back. It is very doubtful that the factory would make it in a way that the truss rod is really tugging, so you should be fine.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^He wants to tune down; piss off. (UVG)

A truss rod doesn't exert any pressure! It just makes the neck harder to bend. You could leave strings off of your guitar and it would be fine.

You are confusing truss rods, and graphite rods. Graphite rods are oftentimes inserted into wide necks (such of those as 6-string basses and 8-string guitars). They are used to stiffen the neck, so that only one truss rod is needed, as it can be difficult to adjust both truss rods to the exact same tension.

Truss rods on the other hand actually do bend themselves, hence they WILL bend the neck if not properly set up. I have a truss rod, which is NOT in a guitar on hand, and I am able to adjust it and clearly see how it works. It consists of a metal channel, with a metal rod inside it. at one end the metal rod is permanently attached to the channel, but at the other end, and in the middle, the two are free but fairly tight. At the free end there is a nut, which can be tightened (on mine it uses an Allen key). It cannot be tightened by hand, but with the key it can be tightened, and clearly makes the rod bend its self. The rod will stay like this, until counteracted (by the tension in the neck). If properly adjusted the two will balance each other, and the neck will be straight. If not properly adjusted, the neck will bend in whichever direction more force is being exerted.
Quote by isaac_bandits
You are confusing truss rods, and graphite rods. Graphite rods are oftentimes inserted into wide necks (such of those as 6-string basses and 8-string guitars). They are used to stiffen the neck, so that only one truss rod is needed, as it can be difficult to adjust both truss rods to the exact same tension.

Truss rods on the other hand actually do bend themselves, hence they WILL bend the neck if not properly set up. I have a truss rod, which is NOT in a guitar on hand, and I am able to adjust it and clearly see how it works. It consists of a metal channel, with a metal rod inside it. at one end the metal rod is permanently attached to the channel, but at the other end, and in the middle, the two are free but fairly tight. At the free end there is a nut, which can be tightened (on mine it uses an Allen key). It cannot be tightened by hand, but with the key it can be tightened, and clearly makes the rod bend its self. The rod will stay like this, until counteracted (by the tension in the neck). If properly adjusted the two will balance each other, and the neck will be straight. If not properly adjusted, the neck will bend in whichever direction more force is being exerted.

Thank you.
So, leaving a guitar with its strings off will warp the neck? And is this like an instantaneous thing, or over a period of time? Cause I routinely take off all the strings on my guitar to clean the fretboard, or even just change all the strings simultaneously.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Quote by HammerAndSickle
So, leaving a guitar with its strings off will warp the neck? And is this like an instantaneous thing, or over a period of time? Cause I routinely take off all the strings on my guitar to clean the fretboard, or even just change all the strings simultaneously.

Over a period of time
My dad has a lot of guitars sitting out in the garage with no strings on them, maybe that's part of the reason why they're so horrible to play o.o

He used to collect them, but he never took care of any of them. It's kinda sad seeing all these great guitars decaying.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
dude haha u hav ur guitar in drop A# and ur using 10's dude im surprised the damn strings rnt hangin lol
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^That's a valid point. I suggest you use 12s if you're tuning that low, just strings with an unwound G string.

Maybe even buy a light bass A string for your A#. and then move all the other strings up one.
i say get a pack of 70-11's. i use'em for all tunings and they hold well regardless (well actually i went down to drop F once and they started slacking, i just wanted to see at what point they went from slack to tight, apparently its around F#/G)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Oh, and just so you know, since you're tuning DOWN, you would call it Bb instead of A#.

He can call it A# if he wants.. as long as he only plays minor songs with a key signature of seven sharps.
^I get your joke and it's quite funny, but A# minor does exist. However, since he's tuning down, he should call it by its flattened name, Bb, rather than A#.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^I get your joke and it's quite funny, but A# minor does exist. However, since he's tuning down, he should call it by its flattened name, Bb, rather than A#.

That he should.
oh, my bad. Bb then

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act