Hey...

Been playing just over a year and currently I'm using my flat mates Epiphone Les Paul Special II (i believe he got it in a starter pack) and I think he wants to get rid of it and it's not a guitar I would buy.

The 2 guitars I am looking at are:
Fender Strat MIM - HSS.
Alder body, Maple fret board and neck. Standard trem. (Can also get with rosewood fret board)

Jackson DX6 - HH
Poplar body, Rosewood Fretboard and maple neck. Duncan designed humbuckers. No trem.

They both cost the same (~$1000NZD), I'm leaning towards the strat because I can't find any information about a Jackson DX6. The little information I could find people were moaning quite a bit about the tuning pegs and the pups.

I know one of the first questions i'll get asked is 'what is my amp'. Well my amp is a Marshall MG15 (?, some 15w marshall). If I were going to get a new amp I couldn't afford to spend this much on a guitar, so it would end up being a Squier HSS Strat (~$600NZD) and a new amp. I'd consider that if it would give that much better results.

I currently play anything really, Metallica, Tool, Megadeth and Opeth through to Led Zep, Deep purple, The Eagles.

Cheers in advance guys.

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

dont buy either

ESPECIALLY not the fender

if your looking at a fender and your looking to put out money buy yourself a nice G&L (and I'd advice sticking with an HSS model)

since im sure you haven't heard of them, g&l was co-founded by the founder of fender. mine is much more versatile than "metal" guitars like a jackson or ibanez, so if your playing zep or eagles you wouldn't want that

and as for a comparison, my friend owns an american fender model that cost him around 1200 and my g&l was about 700...everyone who i've talked to, anyone who has played it agrees that my guitar is in every way better than the fender. so put that grand or so to good use and get a nice g&l
If you're looking at metal then I'd advise looking at other guitars, I don't know how much NZD$1000 will get you but look into something like an Ibanez or an ESP LTD guitar with a fixed bridge and humbuckers
Quote by briman007
dont buy either

ESPECIALLY not the fender

if your looking at a fender and your looking to put out money buy yourself a nice G&L (and I'd advice sticking with an HSS model)

since im sure you haven't heard of them, g&l was co-founded by the founder of fender. mine is much more versatile than "metal" guitars like a jackson or ibanez, so if your playing zep or eagles you wouldn't want that

and as for a comparison, my friend owns an american fender model that cost him around 1200 and my g&l was about 700...everyone who i've talked to, anyone who has played it agrees that my guitar is in every way better than the fender. so put that grand or so to good use and get a nice g&l

Pfft. Personally, I can't stand G&L necks. The only G&L that I actually found superior were the ASAT models.

And if you're paying 700 new then your guitar is most likely a Tribute by G&L. American Fenders walk all over the Tributes.

About the guitars TS. The DX6 is just a really cheap Dinky model if I remember correctly. You might want to look at things like Ibanez, Schecter, ESP/LTD or other Jackson guitars.

I don't know the availability in New Zealand though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Haha, Thanks guys.

I'm not sure about the G&L availability in NZ either, I can have a look but I I'm not sure I"ll be able to find much. I did find a Schecter Demon for around ~900. Is it really that much better than the Fender? Don't get me wrong, I love my metal and hard rock but don't want to be limited by my guitar to playing just that style, granted I haven't had a look at the Schecters actually I could do I a bit more looking on that one.

I kinda gathered the DX6 wasn't too hot, it felt semi-nice to play but it did feel kinda ... not that well built, lol. My reasoning behind the HSS was that I could swap out the humbucker for something that gives it a bit more kick later on, wise idea?

All the Ibanez and ESP I can really find tend to be a tad more $$ than I actually have at the moment, it is a shame cause they do look like nice guitars.

Mah Gear
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Well, seeing as how I haven't been playing that long I could have this completely wrong. Infact, i guess styles might have been the wrong word, heh. I listen to mostly metal and rock and I am a great fan of James Hetfield and Dave Mustaines playing styles as well as people like Eric Clapton, Paul Gilbert, Jimmy page.

I'm just a tad worried that if I buy the wrong guitar I'll end up regretting it when it comes to playing different things is all.... :S

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

I'd suggest a Schecter C-1 Plus or C-1 Classic. Duncan pups, mahogany body w/ maple top, maple neck. Very versatile guitars, but they might be out of your price range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I can have a look around, but I'm betting you're right about them being a bit out of my price range, haha.

If only I was horribly rich :/

Is the HSS strat just not worth going for? From all the reading I've done around here everyone that has one seems to love it. O_o

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

yeah, it is a tribute

and it kicks ass

american strats arent even worthy of being t-bagged by g&l guitars