ok so now that i have my peavey vb-2 i brought my 60 watt peavey combo home. there's no actual headphone jack on it and i thought i'd ask if it was ok to plug my headphones into that. I have$80 subwoofer speaker headphones so i didn't want to just plug it in and blow something. of course it has both pre and post gain knobs so i should be able to jsut use those for volume. just making sure before i try it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Erm... No. I don't think you should plug in there. It's admittedly a hunch, as I know nothing about those amps.

Maybe look in the user manual?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
The problem that I could potentially see here is that there's no amplification of sound. You have your preamp, but no power, and unless your headphones are self-powered then I don't think it would make a sound. You could try though. I can't imagine anything bad coming out of it, as long as you put the volume at zero and then work your way up to volume slowly.
preamps do amplify the sound...jsut a little. i'll try it tonight then if noone else says anything.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
i gues it could work but not very loudly
without the power the sound will be very low
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
well i'm not expectiing 60 watt headphones here lol.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
it won't hurt the phones, but it will probably be too low a volume to use, effectively.
you'll need a small pre-amp with a phone jack to make it work right.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 16, 2008,
well considering the preamp has a volume knob(pre-gain volume) it should have some. it will be louder than just plugging the bass into headphones for sure. as long as it's safe i'll try it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
ok i tried it....it doesn't work. why would they make a 60 watt amp with no headphone out....and no line out. so it's nto good for shows or practice. lol. it sounds good and all but come on!

EDIT: and we all missed something. plugging into a preamp out doesn't shut sound off to the speaker. duh.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
ok i tried it....it doesn't work. why would they make a 60 watt amp with no headphone out....and no line out. so it's nto good for shows or practice. lol. it sounds good and all but come on!

EDIT: and we all missed something. plugging into a preamp out doesn't shut sound off to the speaker. duh.

lol that sucks.

And to your first question, it could just be that the amp is old.
just because it was made a long time ago doesn't mean they had the right to be ignorant. ok it's not that bad but still!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
the lack of a headphone jack was probably a design decision to help keep the model at a given price point
pre-amp out is a line-level signal, not powerfull enough to drive headphones. What you could try and do is rund a jack-jack from your pre-amp out to the line-in on your pc. Easy fix that should work.
If you want no sound to come trough the amp, turn down the master volume. If that doesn't work, plug in a cable in the fx-return or power-amp in. The other end of the cable you don't plug in anywhere. This should cut the signal going from pre-amp to poweramp.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by motorcycleboy
the lack of a headphone jack was probably a design decision to help keep the model at a given price point

Doubt it. It really shouldn't cost THAT much extra to include a headphone jack, any extra circuitry and any power requirements. Hell, my first practice amp had a headphone jack and it costs £60 new. As do a lot of those kinds of amps.

The exclusion of a headphone jack is probably down to the fact that a 60 watt amp is generally louder than a 10 or 30 watt amp, which are more likely to have a headphone jack. If you're using a 60 watt amp for practice, it's probably safe to assume you can use that volume without the headphones when practicing.