Page 1 of 2
i'm buying new pickups for my Prs Se Custom and dont know wich to get 81/89 emg or 81/85 emg. But i was told to buy the Bg Hellabucker/Bg humbucker dark to achive a breaking benjamin, and killswitch engage sound i would like to achive?

How do you feel about it?
Actives in a PRS? I personally have never heard of that.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Try high output passives. You don't want actives in a PRS, in my opinion. Try DiMarzio Evolutions or a DiMarzio X2N.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Since EMGs are mostly metal-oriented those might limit your sound.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Why wouldn't i though? I've heard you get a net little sound out of them. I dont really know the deiffrence between passive and active either. What does it change?
Quote by Thebiz
Since EMGs are mostly metal-oriented those might limit your sound.

I'm looking for a breaking benjamin killswitch engae or a three days grace kinda sound..
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Don't both those bands use high output passives? I know Ben Burnley does, at least.

i didnt know that where did you hear that?
Quote by Wreckage_Prs
Why wouldn't i though? I've heard you get a net little sound out of them. I dont really know the deiffrence between passive and active either. What does it change?

Actives give a higher output but run on a 9v battery. The pickups usually last for thousands of hours though.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Wreckage_Prs
i didnt know that where did you hear that?

I looked up a picture of him with a guitar.
Dickless.
and passives run off of what? and what sound does it achive? And what about A BG Hellabucker?
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I looked up a picture of him with a guitar.

Where did you find it? how can you tell?
Actives also compress your tone and, in my opinion, destroy it. They don't capture the sound of the guitar, just the built-in preamp of the pickups.

PRS's are nice guitars; you should get passives to really capture their true, natural tone. If I may, I'd suggest getting some Seymour Duncans, particularly the JB/Jazz combo (my personal favourite (JB in the bridge, Jazz in the neck)) or maybe just the Duncan Distortions. Any Seymours should do you well, just steer clear of the Invaders and Dimebuckers. Also, the Duncan Blackouts are actives, which in my opinion, you don't want.

Also you could check out Swineshead pickups (http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/) ifyou're into that. I do believe they ship out of UK, which is a plus.

Woo, that took me a bit to type.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
i put a set of 81/85 in my prs se custom just to see how it sounds and i like it i can get a pretty good kse sound as well as breaking ben. im planning on getting the deacivators for i tho. but overall its pretty crushing.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
if you don't know the difference between passives and actives, then don't bother buying them. let me guess, you just want EMGs because a lot of people have them.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by iheartgun
i put a set of 81/85 in my prs se custom just to see how it sounds and i like it i can get a pretty good kse sound as well as breaking ben. im planning on getting the deacivators for i tho. but overall its pretty crushing.

what are those? the deacivators what do they do?
Last edited by Wreckage_Prs at Mar 16, 2008,
D Activators are DiMarzio brand passive pups, made to sould like actives.

TS, I think you'll be completly fine with the stock pups. Really.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
TS, I think you'll be completly fine with the stock pups. Really.

i cant really get the pinched out of them that i want.
Quote by Wreckage_Prs
Where did you find it? how can you tell?

Learn what an active pickup looks like before you install them. I'm guessing you're a beginner, in which case, hold off on installing new pickups.
Dickless.
Quote by Flying Afros
if you don't know the difference between passives and actives, then don't bother buying them. let me guess, you just want EMGs because a lot of people have them.

Not quite just a friend of mine recomended it to me for my sound that i was trying to achive. But i wasnt sure i just came on here to ask. I'm just trying to achive that sound.
Quote by Wreckage_Prs
Not quite just a friend of mine recomended it to me for my sound that i was trying to achive. But i wasnt sure i just came on here to ask. I'm just trying to achive that sound.

The sound comes from the amp, what amp do you have?
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Learn what an active pickup looks like before you install them. I'm guessing you're a beginner, in which case, hold off on installing new pickups.

I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years. So i am fairly new. i dont really know about all the technical stuff. I won't be installing them. I'm just tring to achive a certin sound thats all.

And they look quite similar to me. i mean theres no difrence that shouts out to me
What amp do you have?

*crosses fingers hoping that for once it won't be an MG*
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
The sound comes from the amp, what amp do you have?

ive got a fender 2x12r
You need a new amp, not new pickups.

If you head on over to Guitar Gear & Accessories and make a thread about the kind of sound you want and what gear you already own, and what your budget and location are, the people would be glad to help you find a suitable amp.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
ok so your sugessting a new amp not new pick ups. will that help my pinched harmonics though. cause there really weak and so is my sound its kind of a brighter tone im looking for a warmer tone.
I wouldnt put EMGs on one of the expensive ones, thatd kil the tone. But on an SE model i think itd sound pretty good.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
I wouldnt put EMGs on one of the expensive ones, thatd kil the tone. But on an SE model i think itd sound pretty good.

See thats what i was thinking cause mine was only 600 dollers its not like i have a $3000 one
I'm new to the techincal part of guitar really folks. I heard the BG Hellabucker and like it... But if i need a new amp i could find one soon as soon as i get my taxes back.
Quote by Wreckage_Prs
i cant really get the pinched out of them that i want.

I'd still look elsewhere in the signal chain. Not to mention the element of technique.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I'd still look elsewhere in the signal chain. Not to mention the element of technique.

well if your saying im doing it wrong tell me how i should do it. Cause it's not getting the scream i'm looking for.
I don't think a Fender 2x12r is a very "Metal" amp if you are going for the KSE tone, way too bright and not metal gain. A new amp is definitely in order before you consider pickup changes.
I'd go with either a 60/85 or 89/89 set. Both pickups offer superb tone, definatly not the typical UG opinion of EMG's. I have yet to try the 18v mod, but I've heard clips and many people say it makes a huge difference.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd go with either a 60/85 or 89/89 set. Both pickups offer superb tone, definatly not the typical UG opinion of EMG's. I have yet to try the 18v mod, but I've heard clips and many people say it makes a huge difference.

SO your saying most people on this fourm site don't apriciate EMGs?
Quote by rwalby9
I don't think a Fender 2x12r is a very "Metal" amp if you are going for the KSE tone, way too bright and not metal gain. A new amp is definitely in order before you consider pickup changes.

+ A Plate Of Bacon.

Your amp is the culprit, methinks.
Page 1 of 2