Hey dudes, after playing my friends pedalboard that had a Boss DS-2 Dist/OD pedal on it I was wondering if a OD or a TS would help me. I'm trying to venture into the area of more vintage tones. I found my channel 3 vintage and raw voicings were really good, I think.. I have clips in my profile check em out, and tell me what you think I could get to improve my tone more.

edit; I suppose the EMG loaded axe (Schecter Hellraiser) doesn't help achieve a vintage tone, although I'm into pop rock/and punk and very little metal, it doesn't help much there either minus the rare metal. SOOO, I'm saving up for a used SG standard.

THANKS YO.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

I cant make sense of your post.

But, what I do know is that every guitar player needs a tube screamer. Whether its for blues, a boost, or as an EQ, the thing can help in different ways.

I always have mine on, clean or distorted, with gain turned all the way down
Ah. alright.. thanks.

Is the Ibanez the best?

Quote by tr3nt
Is the Ibanez the best?

Depends on which model and your price range.

Maxon also makes some goos ones.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by Grimpenguin
are the Ibanezes tru bypass? I think the maxons are.

True bypass is incredibly overrated, especially in a long signal chain.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Grimpenguin
are the Ibanezes tru bypass? I think the maxons are.

No, but the mod is easy to make them into true bypass, and it is pretty overrated like archeo said
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Check out my clips on my profile to see if you think I should be looking at one?

I'm just starting to look for a vintage tone and thats like the only riff I know so far lol. Thanks.

edit; i was talking about the ibanez ts9

Last edited by tr3nt at Mar 17, 2008,
up?

Whats the difference between the TS7, TS9, and TS808

TS808 gets a more vintage tone. The TS9 is more modern sounding.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Quote by edwardthegreat5
No, but the mod is easy to make them into true bypass, and it is pretty overrated like archeo said

yeah, except for the part where you have to drill thru the casing and install a new switch
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think he was talking about the OD808?

not true...
but i guess he didnt really specify. all they said was 'tubescreamers' and 808 and 9 are both tubescreamers.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I have every pedal I need except for a Tubescreamer. Everybody with a tube amp who plays loud should have one. Its on my short list. I'll probably go for the cheaper version since I don't gig anymore.
You do want to think about changing the active pickups out for passive, but get the TS first. It my make the sound more organic and you could skip the pickup swap for a while.
I have a bad monkey and an Ibnez TS9. I use the bad moneky, and prefer its sound.
More gain if you need it.....it just sounds better to me. Get up on youtube, there is a kid who is pretty smart, and a good player testing the Bad Monkey vs. Phat Cat, vs. Ts9, etc. H elikes the bad monkey too. I know were are not listenting to a live player, but you can really hearteh diff. between the pedal he is using.
true Bypass is overrated. Maxon pedals are overpriced, and the current Ibanez offerings are either too expensive, or dont sounds as cool as the bad monkey. IMO

you can get a bad monkey for about $25.
Quote by kool98769
yeah, except for the part where you have to drill thru the casing and install a new switch

Not hard, just need a drill and everyone owns one or knows someone who owns one. It's not rocket science.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
I'm actually saving for a used SG standard.. so.. IDK when I'll have the cash for that though. It will run about $800 off eBay if I find a good deal.