So, I was really bored today and I figured that, since I have no life, I would try to pull a Steve Vai and practice guitar for 6 full hours. I jotted down exercises I knew, made up my own, and finally, picked out two solos to work on. I then put it all in a power tab, and so... here it is. I practiced all of these at a speed where I could play them perfectly, then cranked it just fast enough that I couldn't quite get it, and then went back down to slow so I ended each exercise with perfect technique (which is apparently important.) A metronome was instrumental in this process. The following is a list of the exercises and the time to spend doing them. Feel free to change this to your liking (i.e. play it faster, just choose exercises, etc.) This is not only meant to be a grueling 6 hour practice session, but also to be a repository of exercises and licks to use when practicing. Enjoy.

The workout is divided into 5 sections:
Warm-up/Exercises (very helpful)
Scales and Modes
Licks and Riffs
Sweeping
Solos

So... if you want it, it's attached to the post.
Tell me what you think.
Attachments:
6 Hour Workout.zip
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
Last edited by AgentWiggles at Mar 16, 2008,
Go to the page, type the code, wait 45 seconds, then open it with winrar or 7 zip...
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
Ok, I just attached the zip. Considerably easier.
Hey man this looks real good, Thanks.

About doing this monthly would be pretty cool, if you have the time of course.
I'd like to. This did take a while though.
Do you think I could submit this to the site, or would the inclusion of Kris Dahl's riffs and Petrucci and Batio's exercises be problematic?
Hmm I think you should ask the mods, but for some people this will be very beneficial.
i feel dumb. i didnt see the code.

the workout looks really good. i havent looked through it all yet. ill try i some other day. it covers everything (i think). thanks
How could I get a hold of them? I also really don;t want to piss Kris Dahl off, I'm a huge fan of his.
I love the ego you weaved so tentatively within the whole description. Because of how serious you seem about it (no one acts like that and is actually that apathetic), I will rate it how I personally consider any professional offer.

Hmmm... I would say:

Rating

Content - 7/10

Delivery - 2/10

Neatness - 3/10

Overall - 4/10

If you were seriously marketing this, I would spit on you.

Welcome to the business world
Quote by RockDJ
I love the ego you weaved so tentatively within the whole description. Because of how serious you seem about it (no one acts like that and is actually that apathetic), I will rate it how I personally consider any professional offer.

Hmmm... I would say:

Rating

Content - 7/10

Delivery - 2/10

Neatness - 3/10

Overall - 4/10

If you were seriously marketing this, I would spit on you.

Welcome to the business world

OK...

I'm not marketing it, I made it for myself and am offering it to you guys with some notes. Don't be a dick.
Quote by Grimpenguin
^Lol fail.

I think its pretty good actually

I gave his content a 7 man... everything else brought it down.

Quote by AgentWiggles
OK...

I'm not marketing it, I made it for myself and am offering it to you guys with some notes. Don't be a dick.

*sigh*

The irony.

Can you read?
Whatever, I'm not getting into it. Thanks for the review.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Whatever, I'm not getting into it. Thanks for the review.

Finally some sense.

Just keep the ego down, and you will be good.
Quote by RockDJ
Finally some sense.

Just keep the ego down, and you will be good.

In the interest of improvement, could you possibly point out said ego?
Quote by AgentWiggles
In the interest of improvement, could you possibly point out said ego?

You are basically telling your audience to **** themselves at every chance you could.

If you were marketing this, you would scare off a lot of people.
Having re-read the intro I can actually see where you're coming from. It wasn't meant to come off that way, though. Like I've said, this was for me. The text file and notes were for UG. I still would like to do this every month. Not only would it be cool for you guys, but I'd like a log of my progress.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Having re-read the intro I can actually see where you're coming from. It wasn't meant to come off that way, though. Like I've said, this was for me. The text file and notes were for UG. I still would like to do this every month. Not only would it be cool for you guys, but I'd like a log of my progress.

Act a little more inviting and you may have something here.
Quote by Grimpenguin
You 2 should partner up and market this thing. Srsly.

Not the worst idea.

This can fit in with the whole web 2.0 craze.
I'll export to ascii, hang on.
Attachments:
ASCII 6 Hour Workout.zip
Last edited by AgentWiggles at Mar 16, 2008,
Bump. I know its annoying to bump but I want more people to see this.