Hey,
As a tone freak, I love dialing in new tones, and seeing how other people react to them.
Well, I recently (actually, tonight) I dialed in a tone that I kind of liked.
I was wondering what YOU thought of it. It's in my profile under "EJ-ish Tone~PV Classic Users".
This was originally a demo of what kind of smooth EJ lead tone a peavey classic could get.
Anyways, What can I do to make it a better lead tone?
And sorry about the cheap camera mic. but, it captures enough of the tone to be accurately judged. And don't slam my playing too bad, I was just playing random stuff because I had to hurry to record it, and I couldn't really take more than one or two takes before I had to turn my amp off.

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^all right. I felt like I did have too much bass.
Plus, I had the presence on 0, so i'll fix that next time.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by chris_libby_88
i think just a little more treb and mid would make the sound a little edgier...

Agreed, treble is lacking especially. Could be the mic, though. It sounded a little loose, too. Maybe if you turned down your amp's gain and boosted it with an OD it would tighten up a bit?
^It already had two OD's in front of it. Perhaps I had too much gain though.
And yeah, I had it off to the side of the amp, so that may be why treble was lacking.
It's just, when I put the camera in front of the amp, it distorts heavily.
I think the looseness lies in my pedals though. Maybe I didn't balance out the two well enough, or they added too much gain.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Are you using the stock Strat pickups? Maybe if you used something slightly higher- output it would overdrive it more naturally, and you could turn down, or maybe get rid of one of the OD's.

Of course, that would be horribly irrational and stupid just to try and improve on one tone, but hey, it might be worth it .
Once I get this certain tone nailed down, i'm gonna keep it as my main rock lead tone, and maybe if I get into shred, i'll use it for that.
Well, the two overdrives really aren't doing much. One is boosting the output, with it's tone knob rolled down all the way (still lets a fair amount of treble through though), then my other is adding some of it's own gain and I have the tone knob up higher for that one.
Both are pretty good pedals (Danelectro Wasabi OD and a modded tubescreamer).
I realized that I need two OD's to get a sort of smooth sustain (with one, it's still crunchy and not very lead-y).
Anyways, I am using higher output strat pickups. I got a set custom wound for me. The neck pickup (which I was using) has about a 6k output. Not too hot, yet hotter than some.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Just personal taste you understand, but I like things to be a bit crisper. If adding more treble gets you there I'd do that.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Once I get this certain tone nailed down, i'm gonna keep it as my main rock lead tone, and maybe if I get into shred, i'll use it for that.
Well, the two overdrives really aren't doing much. One is boosting the output, with it's tone knob rolled down all the way (still lets a fair amount of treble through though), then my other is adding some of it's own gain and I have the tone knob up higher for that one.
Both are pretty good pedals (Danelectro Wasabi OD and a modded tubescreamer).
I realized that I need two OD's to get a sort of smooth sustain (with one, it's still crunchy and not very lead-y).
Anyways, I am using higher output strat pickups. I got a set custom wound for me. The neck pickup (which I was using) has about a 6k output. Not too hot, yet hotter than some.

Damn... if you've put that much thought into your rig, you'd better be happy with your tone . Honestly though, I'm sure you'll get it if you fool around enough.

Maybe increase the gain on one of the OD's and roll down the output on your guitar?
^I'm a tone freak, what can I say?
I agree, now that I listen to it, it needs some more bite.
Now that I think of it, I had my tone knob on my guitar rolled down quite a bit. I also have 500k pots in my strat (long story, I used to have blue laces in it, which are super bassy, and i'm too lazy to change them out). I'll try dialing up the tone pot all the way, and see what happens.
I'll probably record a new one with revised settings when I have a chance to crank up the amp (it sounds bad with the OD's at low volume).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator