Hi.

I just started playing bass in a new band, after a few years of just tinkering around on it. And I've decided I need a real amp, rather than the 30 watter I've been using.

Now one guitarist is playing a valveking 100 stack, and the other a vox ad100 stack.

Overkill, I know.

I need something, cheap, reliable, punchy and not behringer.

I'm drawn to laney, but not the price tag.

I'm playing a jazz bass btw, and its kinda a 'muse/placebo/radiohead' sound, I like that fat yet clean sound that Colin Greenwood gets, but I also would like to run some effects into it, particularly a decent compressor.

I'm in the UK.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
you'll have to give a price range. then you'll get tons of suggestions.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I was trying to keep it sub £300, but even the powers of Ebay are telling me thats gonna be a push, I'm guessing I'll need around 300 Watts. The Laney 300 watt combos would both just about brush £300.

I'd be willing to go over - I need a bloody job first.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
That VK is gonna be tough to push thru. But if they can turn it down a bit, a Crate BT220 would work. Only 200 watts, but its pretty inexpensive.
The Laney combos are great IMHO, my RB4 has done me proud for the 18 months I've had it, the 7 Band EQ is also a handy little feature, I usually get asked by the idiot lead singer to turn down, but I don't I just scoop my mid a little, hardly even noticed.
Is the EQ footswitchable? And how about fx loops?

I'm hoping to one day have a two amp setup, one dirty, the other clean.

I want that thunderous low end.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
The quality of Behringer stuff sucks, and the wattage isnt in RMS. I am not very into that stuff but it's like half of the wattage told, maybe someone could explain better.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Nice call on the Ashdown there Armagedn, its just out of my range, but if I work hard, I'll get it.

And I'm aware that wattage isn't RMS, its a perception thing, but its generally accepted the bass player needs 3x that of the guitarist.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
Is the EQ footswitchable? And how about fx loops?

I'm hoping to one day have a two amp setup, one dirty, the other clean.

I want that thunderous low end.

I personally don't use a footswitch, so I'm not sure on that first part, but an effects loop is on it yup, and the built in compresser is VERY punchy.
I really like to smack the bass, especially when I'm picking, but I have a problem with the string hitting the pickup, so I would really want all those levels to even out, would the compresser be usefull for that?
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
I really like to smack the bass, especially when I'm picking, but I have a problem with the string hitting the pickup, so I would really want all those levels to even out, would the compresser be usefull for that?

The string shouldn't hit the pickup in the first place. And IMO if you should be able to sound okay without a compressor, or for that matter, any effects. They can make you sound better, but you should be able to sound good without one. And with your small price range, spend it all on the amp.
Well its hitting either the frets or pickup, not all the time, but it makes quite a clakc.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Some of the Ashdowns are very nice and flexible for sound. I play a Fender Bassman 100 watt 15 inch combo and never have any problem keeping up with the lead guitar players stack. If I need more, I just line it out to the PA system. The older I get, the smaller and lighter I like equipment.
hughes & kettner BK300
I play in a band with 2 gitarists, one plays a marshal half stack (100 watts with tubes) and the other an egnl powerball stack and I don't even have to go over 1/2 with the volume knob

it costs 600 € new, dunno how much that is in pounds

[/thread]
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
The HK is nearly £400 over here.

Looks like Ashdown is cream of the crop so far, unless anyone in the UK is selling on on UG?
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Personaly im hooked on this one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Trace-Elliot-715-1x15-250W-Bass-Combo?sku=480099

Only the price.... I will get one of these one day...

But in your range these should be very good:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-WorkingPro-12-200-Watt-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481993
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Last edited by Mescalino at Mar 18, 2008,
Trace Elliot and SWR gear over here is prohibitivly expensive.

However, I do LOVE the SWR sound.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Mescalino

I played through one of those the other day at a gig at my college. It was a very nice amp, I still prefer my Ashdown ABM though. TS, I would say work for the Ashdown, they make very very good stuff, if you're in the UK and on a budget then Ashdown or Laney really is the way to go.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!