So wut exactly is a mosh pit???

I know people go into them to beat up other people, but like, how is it organized?

Is there like boundaries, or does someone just scream "MOSH PIT!!!!!!!" and scissor kicks the guy next to him?

How rough are they? Like do people just shove and trip, or is it a battle royale?

Thanks!
A penny for my thoughts?

A bargain I say!

I'll give you a dollar

Take them all away...
retards running around hitting each other because they think its cool/the thing ur supposed to do
This feels lame, so I will exit.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
The ballpit at Chuck E Cheese on speed.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Bubban

+1
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
it honestly depends who's playing. sometimes everyone just pushes each other around and you end up getting really sweaty and hot. other times the only people who "mosh" are those in the pit who are "dancing" (btw their is NO such thing as hxc dancing. dancing is NOT hardcore). yeah something like that.
It's pretty much what it sounds like. Big circle at a concert where people run around and shove/bump into/hit each other. They're usually pretty rough, depending on the crowd, but most people in there know what they're doing and aren't dicks, so if you fall over they'll pick you up. You may get bruised a little, but no one is seriously trying to hurt people (unless they're an idiot), they just want to have fun. I'm sure you could find something on Wikipedia about it too.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Yeah most people are pretty cool if you fall down. everyone's heard horror stories of people getting trampled to death but like most horror stories their's a lot more fiction than fact in them.
Here's the thing about mosh pits:

Yeah, they are violent. Yeah, people beat the crap outta each other. But it's with love. If you go down, everyone around you will help you up.
Have Fun!

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
An invisible arena with invisible border line infront of the outsiders, with people trying to fight invisible ninjas.
its a hard thing to define, so you pretty much do whatever. anything goes! sometimes its a great opportunity to kick someone's ass because they're a friggin tool
Quote by mynamesedson
An invisible arena with invisible border line infront of the outsiders, with people trying to fight invisible ninjas.

No, that's hardcore dancing, moshing is a lot less choreographed.

Though a lot of people consider hardcore dancing as moshing, it's sort of an umbrella term which can represent:

a) what you described above
b) people shove each other back and forth
c) people running around in a circle and/or shoving back and forth while doing so (this would be an example of a circle pit)

And you should never mosh out of anger. The goal is to burn off some steam and go crazy, but if you run in to a pit looking to hurt someone, you're an asshole and deserve to be trampled. There is always (or should always) be a brotherhood amongst the moshers, and non moshers. The moshers pick one another up when they fall down to avoid being run over, and if someone does get accidentally knocked in the face, an apology is in order (or at least make sure you didn't break their nose).

You should also keep in mind some people just don't want to (you can usually tell who) so don't go around shoving people in, or flying out at people who are purposely standing far away from the pit/off to the sides.

Follow all that, and everyone should have a fun time. Proper Mosh Educate.

Last edited by technicolour at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by mynamesedson

dude thats hxc dancing close but no cigar
Quote by MH400
You just go mental

Very well put. It Really Depends on the band what kind of **** goes down in the pit.For hardcore bands, you've got a lot of dudes dancing and a lot of circle pits. For death metal on the other hand its usually a free for all. Go on youtube and look up "wall of death" to see some great mosh footage.
Quote by technicolour
No, that's hardcore dancing, moshing is a lot less choreographed.

Though a lot of people consider hardcore dancing as moshing, it's sort of an umbrella term which can represent:

a) what you described above
b) people shove each other back and forth
c) people running around in a circle and/or shoving back and forth while doing so (this would be an example of a circle pit)

And you should never mosh out of anger. The goal is to burn off some steam and go crazy, but if you run in to a pit looking to hurt someone, you're an asshole and deserve to be trampled. There is always (or should always) be a brotherhood amongst the moshers, and non moshers. The moshers pick one another up when they fall down to avoid being run over, and if someone does get accidentally knocked in the face, an apology is in order (or at least make sure you didn't break their nose).

You should also keep in mind some people just don't want to (you can usually tell who) so don't go around shoving people in, or flying out at people who are purposely standing far away from the pit/off to the sides.

Follow all that, and everyone should have a fun time. Proper Mosh Educate.

Perfect
Depends.

Sometimes people are nice about it and don't try to really hurt people, others they are total dicks and step on peoples heads when they fall / kick in face.

If you don't want to get injured, make sure it isn't too nuts or just don't do it.
Seeing I've only been to one concert with some mosh pits, my only Definition of mosh pits are a bunch of people hurting each other, randomly. With some shoving, punching, whirling, body slams...possibly anything to hurt anybody with any part of the human body.

Seeing I'm a wuss, I avoid these.
Quote by pancakes
Here's the thing about mosh pits:

Yeah, they are violent. Yeah, people beat the crap outta each other. But it's with love. If you go down, everyone around you will help you up.
Have Fun!

I agree, that is what is supposed to happen. But not in my local area, at bigger venus, yes, in detroit across the river, yes, the shows arel ike that.

In my town? People kick you when you are down. It's ****ed up, and very uncool.

Most pits are where a bunch of people bang shoulders to hardcore music. "HxC dancing" occasionally goes on in these pit, these are the "scene nijas" you see. These people are completely retarded. Take them out of the pit, slap their wrist, and have them sit out before you let them back in.
In my day it was just the bit in front of the stage where people did the most jumping up and down.

Now it involves alot of pushing, throwing your body against other people and kicking.

I preferred the old way.
it all depends on what kind of show you are at

hardcore is pretty much two-steps/get lows and circle pits

metal two-steps and hardcore dancing

punk circle pits over and over

ska skanks

thrash circle pits

it really depends on what kind of show it is
If looks could kill, my charm will scatter faceless dead bodies, everywhere
Mosh pits are mostly a fun time. Really fun at a punk show with fast, accented on the 2 and 4 beats, good for circle pits. For metal, it mostly running through the middle trying to get to the other side, and then you run back, but if you get caught up, you push and shove around. Try to get people out of your way. If you fall and someone see's you, they will go and help you up. Along with the surrounding boundries of the pit, they are normally there to help pick up, or do some outside shoving.

As for hxcdancing, thats another kind of pit.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Bubban

I was there once and I was learning how to swim in the ball pit. (I still don't know how to swim). And I accidentally kept kicking this other kid in the face.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
they can be pretty rough, but you probably won't get seriously hurt unless you act like a complete tool. Most of the time when people get trampled to death or seriously hurt it's because of a crowd surge and not in a mosh pit.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by jack_the_ripper
This feels lame, so I will exit.

too true