knowing how to play guitar would be a start. then being able to complement the lead guitarist and knowing his style really well. you would also need solid gear, something loud and smooth, like a 2x12 minimum.
should nail power chords and bar chords no problem, and alternate picking with right hand very important in that kind of music.
It's all about feel
Metronome, down-picking, power chords, and horrible tone.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
A bridge pickup, and a mean disposition toward the lead guitarist.
I don't even shred
Quote by MetalGS3SE
A guitar and a bad taste in music.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
But, on a helpful note, you have to know your power chords, barre chords, maybe some flatpicking skills. And you HAVE to know your lead guitarist well (even though I don't think there are lead guitarists in pop-punk).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
glasses and a bowlcut?
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
not really pop punk as such but bands like kooks,Fratellis and oasis...Not everyone like darthvader heavy metal scream stuff
Damien Rice === Legend
Last edited by guitarguy182 at Mar 16, 2008,
ever hear of a thing called power chords?

and a concept called rinse, repeat and whore out to oblivion?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Quote by hopespaul
knowing how to play guitar would be a start. then being able to complement the lead guitarist and knowing his style really well. you would also need solid gear, something loud and smooth, like a 2x12 minimum.
should nail power chords and bar chords no problem, and alternate picking with right hand very important in that kind of music.

HA, you don't need to know how to play the guitar if you're in a punk rock band, wtf are you thinking?

I mean look at billie joe armstrong
Quote by guitarguy182
not really pop punk as such but bands like kooks,Fratellis and oasis...Not everyone like darthvader heavy metal scream crap

Not everyone likes pansy-ass pop punk bull****. but that's okay because I respect your musical tastes. As for the topic question you might start out with working on you picking hand's endurence.
Quote by guitarguy182
not really pop punk as such but bands like kooks,Fratellis and oasis...Not everyone like darthvader heavy metal scream crap

I love Darth Vader.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by edusty2010
HA, you don't need to know how to play the guitar if you're in a punk rock band, wtf are you thinking?

I mean look at billie joe armstrong

billie joe armstrong is probably like 5 times better than you at guitar. also, he is a singer/songwriter more than a guitarist anyway, so even if he didnt know how to play he could get away with it
It's all about feel
Quote by guitarguy182
not really pop punk as such but bands like kooks,Fratellis and oasis...Not everyone like darthvader heavy metal scream stuff

Music does not have to do with screaming or heavy metal to be interesting for more than 5 minutes. Actually, bands with that approach usually suck big hairy balls (look at Slipknot or Gorgoroth for an example of how you should never do)

But there's not really anything to what you mention. You need to know some chords, some timing and if you're gonna play bigger places atleast a combo valve amp.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
You must become the metronome.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by guitarguy182

when I read this, I thought about the RATM version of the Imperial March. Closest thing youll get to Darth Vader metal.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Guitar0player
Acting like a walking-talking metronome.

Rhythm guitarists are not allowed to talk.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you