which of these guitars would you think is best for metal/shred?
im going to samash in a few weeks to play em all, just wanted some opinions.
price range around 700-800 american dollars.
getting a jcm 900 used from my uncle in summer, so dont worry about amps.

ESP LTD MH-400 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684
Ibanez S520EX http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518873
Ibanez RG1570 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar?sku=519965
Jackson DKMG http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky?sku=512231
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by impeachpedro10
which of these guitars would you think is best for metal/shred?
im going to samash in a few weeks to play em all, just wanted some opinions.
price range around 700-800 american dollars.
getting a jcm 900 used from my uncle in summer, so dont worry about amps.

ESP LTD MH-400 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684
Ibanez S520EX http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518873
Ibanez RG1570 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar?sku=519965
Jackson DKMG http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky?sku=512231

i'd go with the s-series and swap out the pickups, because of the versatility over ltd, lightness over RG, and playability over jackson.
It's all about feel
SS20EX, get new pups tho
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Definately the Jackson DKMG. I tried out Jacksons, ESP/LTDs, and Ibanez's in that range recently, and the DKMG won for me hands down. I thought it definately had a much nicer feel than the Ibanez's or Ltds.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Last edited by Blackballed at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by Blackballed
Definately the Jackson DKMG. I tried out Jackson's, ESP/LTDs, and Ibanez's in that range recently, and the DKMG won for me hands down. I thought it definately had a much nicer feel than the Ibanez's or Ltds.

i thought the jackson was much stiffer than the S-series ibanez
It's all about feel
okay, so heres what i got
s520=versatile, bad pickups
dinky=good feel, good pickups, stiffer than S series
mh-400=? good?
and nothing on the rg

EDIT: RG=good

if this clears anything up, metal influences would be vai, malmsteen, gilbert, eric johnson, melodic death metal like children of bodom, and different metalcore like all that remains, as i lay dying, shadows fall, ect.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Ibanez Saber is a solid guitar, but the RG isn't bad either. I personally will take ZR trem over the new Edge Pro but the 22 fret thing is kinda iffy. Pickup change is recommended. The wood quality of Ibanez is pretty stable from around $600-$1000, the price change is mainly craftsmanship IMO.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by hopespaul
i thought the jackson was much stiffer than the S-series ibanez

Strange...Maybe it was set up poorly? The one I played was great.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
schecter c-1 classic anyone?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I have that exact dinky in black. Its awesome. Don't even touch those RGs. Try out the ESP, but I'm telling you. the Jackson has an amazing feel to it. And the LFR isn't crap, it stays in tune, not to worry.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
if your lookin at jackson maybe go for the dk2m. it doesnt have emg's but i tried it at gc and that thing played real nice. it had an extremely playable neck, and quite good pickups
I went through the exact same choice, minus the LTD. checked out the DKMG, Ibanez S series and Ibanez RG1570, ended up going for the RG. The S was just to small and light for me, plus i know its stupid but i just didnt feel right paying so much money for a korean guitar.

The DKMG and RG were neck and neck, nothing between them really, i just found the ibanez to have more of a quality feel to it and i liked the swade black finish on it. Also, am not a huge fan of EMG's, and considering a large part of the price of the DKNG was for the pickups, it would have to be lacking somewhere else. Whereas the RG suited me in that it had crap pickups, so i can change them to something I really like, and i havent wasted 1/5 of my purchase price on the pickups included in the guitar

I think that if a guitar has kickass pickups, and it is the same price as a guitar with average pickups, the guitar with average pickups would have to make up for it somewhere else.

Good luck they are all fantastic guitars and u will love any of them
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by Flying Afros
I have that exact dinky in black. Its awesome. Don't even touch those RGs. Try out the ESP, but I'm telling you. the Jackson has an amazing feel to it. And the LFR isn't crap, it stays in tune, not to worry.

what is bad about the RGs?

thanks for all the input. I guess i can't really go wrong with any of em. And I heard schecters have pretty thick necks for shredding and such. Im kinda leaning towards the S520 and the Mh-400, but ill still give all the others a play
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Get the ibanez S520EX it has really fast neck and the ZR trem system. If you do get the S520EX change the pups.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Hellraiser-C1-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513134

There you go Shecter Hellraiser C1
(I'd reccomend this over any of you choices)

BUT....If your dead set on those four

Go with the ESP if your just looking for metal (anything else will sound like garbage)
Ibanez if your looking for more versetile sounds
Plus I guarentee the Prestige Neck on the RG is the most comfortable you'll ever play on
S series. with a change of pups you'll have an insanely good guitar.
Check out your local classified ads to see if you couldn't find an old Charvel.
The finish on the hellraiser is amazing. I would suggest you try that guitar with the others you have listed...
alright, but ive heard the hellraiser's neck is too thick for shred and such. is that true?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Wow I am surprised no Schecter fans chimed in. I didn't think the neck was too thick, try one and see what you think. They are nice guitars.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
schecter c-1 classic anyone?

This. But of those choices, I'd go for the Jackson.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by impeachpedro10
alright, but ive heard the hellraiser's neck is too thick for shred and such. is that true?

If you've got longer hands than a 12 year old, you can shred on a Hellraiser.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by impeachpedro10

Tell that to Jeff Loomis. His signature Schecter is based on the Hellraiser, and he has a Hellraiser and a Blackjack in his rig. He's not the only one - there are loads of people out there who can shred on Schecters. Schecter in general is a worthy choice for both metal and shred.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
okay, ill definantly check some out if i can find em.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
hey, sorry for the double post.
I recently went to a local guitar store in boston, daddy's junkie music.
No ESPs or Ibanez S series, so i mainly played jacksons, schecters and RGs
I played a bunch of schecters, didnt really like the neck at all, coming from playing on an SG
Jacksons, the neck felt to wide if you know what I mean. It was thin, but there was still too much of it.
I loved the RGs though. Played an RG1570, and a RG2550Z (Prestige). I liked em both a lot, the tone on the prestige was nicer, but they didnt feel too different. The prestige had the ZR trem, but I didnt get to try it out, no trem bars....

So here is my updated list.
-ESP MH-400 (Love the feel/EMGs, but not versatile)
-Ibanez RG1570 (loved, future P/U swap)
-Ibanez RG2550Z (felt like 1570, kinda out of my price range, but sounded tiny bit better and with an assumed better trem? ZR>Pro? Im not sure, maybe look at used)
-Ibanez 520EX (most versatile, but geared in metal/shred, pickup swap, havent played yet, ZR trem)

basically my question is the full prestige guitar really worth it, with the ZR and DiMarzios? because i can change the pickups on the 1570, and they have the same neck, and I'm assuming the Edge Pro is still a high quality trem?

By the way, ill be returning home (im on vacation) and going to Samash first chance I get where I can try all these guitars side by side.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Do NOT get an S series, ever. The internal parts of the trem are cheap plastic, and prone to breaking.

That said, I'd go with the RG.
Dickless.

Used RG550.

Quote by MetalMilitia212
Do NOT get an S series, ever. The internal parts of the trem are cheap plastic, and prone to breaking.

That said, I'd go with the RG.

It's idiots like you that spread this crap around. The old S models use the same trems (Edge, Lo-Pro) as the RGs and Jems. The newer ZR equipped S models have a cheap arm holder. $15 fix. The newer RGs (non prestige) have the pot metal Edge III which is a $100 fix (Original Floyd Rose). In closing...

Used RG550.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Last edited by PerpetualBurn at Mar 22, 2008,
Cheap parts??

The S is the best Ibanez has to offer in the price range, the ZR trem kicks major ass.
Quote by PerpetualBurn

Used RG550.

It's idiots like you that spread this crap around. The old S models use the same trems (Edge, Lo-Pro) as the RGs and Jems. The newer ZR equipped S models have a cheap arm holder. $15 fix. The newer RGs (non prestige) have the pot metal Edge III which is a $100 fix (Original Floyd Rose). In closing...

Used RG550.

Not just the arm holder, take it apart and look inside. I've had to replace half the parts with OFR parts.

Also, concerning the holder, I had to drop an OFR arm in, which lowered the range of the trem, because the arm is shorter.

Besides, when you're buying a guitar, you shouldn't have to replace anything.
Dickless.
I've got a dinky and I love it although I do find myself knocking the tone pot sometimes but that could be my dodgy playing style. I love the low action on it.
yah, i dont really like the dinkys or jackson superstrats.

RG550? doesnt look bad, vintage pickups aren't really what I want though. Like i said earlier, ill be using it for shred/metal/metalcore, so i would want a more modern sound. and I'm assuming part of the price for the 550 is in the pickups......

Out of the RGs, which would be the best investment?
RG1570-Prestige neck, Edge Pro, could replace the pickups later
RG2550Z-Prestige Neck, ZR trem, DiMarzio Pickups
RG550-Original Edge Trem (thats good I suppose?), Vintage Pickups...
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90