OK

I've been playing guitar for about half a year now and been thinking about getting a pedal. I'm not in a band and just mess around and play guitar with my friends. So should I get one? If so, which ones should I get?

Thanks in advance
What kind of music do you play and what is your current gear? Wah pedals are fun to play with.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
you should probably just get one of those $75 digitech multi-effects pedals since you don't seem to serious about good sound and you just wanna mess around.
What kind of pedal?

Wah? Distortion? Overdrive? Chorus? Sound Enhancement (As used by Herman Ri)?

And what's your current gear? I can already kind of sense that you are looking for a distortion for your little MG or player pack amp and you want a better sound.
I may be wrong though.

You'll have to enlighten us with your gear before we can make any helpful suggestions.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
you don't seem to have precedence to decribe what you are looking for from the pedal, so get a multi effect, it'll still sound like crap but you can have a little fun with it
Quote by werty22
If you don't know what you want, you don't need it.

+2

Figure out what you need first before you buy it
figrure out what kind of music you are into before you look into the effect(s) you need for that genre(s)
otherwise you're probly wasting time and money..0

All the I have is my Squire guitar and a 15 watt amp. As for music, I do anything I can play, but try to play rock-type songs.

Thanks for the all input.
Lol. I knew it. Pack amp.

Um... I don't think pedals are a high priority at the moment.
If you think you're gonna be jamming with a drummer anytime soon, i'd recommend a new amp.
But, if you're just hanging out with friends, i'd say some kind of distortion.
Since I don't believe in distortion pedals, i'll let other people give you advice as to which one you want.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i had the same question and i saw this post. i'm into rock music. specifically tom morello style guitar playing. i too am a beginner. im also into blues
-Smittyb0y-
Quote by rush5757
you should probably just get one of those $75 digitech multi-effects pedals since you don't seem to serious about good sound and you just wanna mess around.

yeah for just messing around a cheap digitech multi effect should do nicely for the reasons quoted and with most digitech multieffects if not all you will be able to customize the different effects to find the sound you want but it won't be the greatest quality sound