Is there any way (besides playing with the truss rod) to lower the action on my Carlo Robelli acoustic?

This isnt the exact guitar, but the bridge is similar.

Last edited by guitar98765432 at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by guitar98765432
Is there any way (besides playing with the truss rod) to lower the action on my Carlo Robelli acoustic?

This isnt the exact guitar, but the bridge is similar.

The truss rod IS NOT an action adjustment. The truss rod only effects neck bow(relief) and then only the portion of the neck from the nut to about where the neck joins the body, no more. Not only that, but the deflection gained or lost by adjusting the truss rod will be greatest in the middle of the area of the neck stated above.
The bridge saddle (white piece in the bridge) is the primary adjustment point for action height adjustments. If action is too high, sand down the bottom side of the saddle. If it's already too low, replace the saddle with a new, higher one and shape for proper neck radius, and intonation.
That what you were looking for?
Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.

And I always wondered how the truss rod could affect the action. I guess it really can't.
Quote by LeftyDave
The truss rod IS NOT an action adjustment. The truss rod only effects neck bow(relief) and then only the portion of the neck from the nut to about where the neck joins the body, no more. Not only that, but the deflection gained or lost by adjusting the truss rod will be greatest in the middle of the area of the neck stated above.
The bridge saddle (white piece in the bridge) is the primary adjustment point for action height adjustments. If action is too high, sand down the bottom side of the saddle. If it's already too low, replace the saddle with a new, higher one and shape for proper neck radius, and intonation.
That what you were looking for?

I might add that any sanding done on the saddle needs to be reciprocated on the nut. If 1/32 comes off the saddle, 1/32 has to come off the nut otherwise it will throw your intonation off. This means that when you tune your guitar it may be in tune on the first few frets near the nut but gets out of tune as you go down the nut.

Some minor adjustments can be made with the truss rod but not too much. Sounds like you need a set up. If it's new take it back to where you got it and they will usually adjust it for free. If it isn't the cost is about $45.