I haven't played a guitar in my life, so I am a complete beginner when dealing with both accoustics and electrics. I do have experience with music in general, since I have played other instruments. Because I mainly listen to and plan on playing metal or harder rock, I was wondering what a good beginner's electric guitar would be for playing such a style of music. I realize how each part of the guitar is supposed to affect its sound (the pickups, etc.), but with my budget at around $250 right now, I'm probably going to be limited to purchasing a value package or something. So I can't really be picky with sound, but all I want is the best valued electric guitar package for playing metal at around $250. I'll probably stick with the practice amp that'll come with it at least until I get more comfortable with the instrument. Can anyone recommend a package that might suit what I want? I just don't wanna get something that falls apart in a couple of months, because I don't know the different between an Ibanez, BC Rich, etc (in terms of quality). I was considering the BC Rich Avenge SOB package, it seems pretty good judging from reviews, but any help would be welcomed.
I think it would be smarter to save up until you can afford equipment that you aren't going to sell in 6 months.
Well it's not really about saving up the money, because I have the money. My 'rents just won't let me spend so much on my first guitar.
An regarding gunnerthekiwi's post, that still costs more than one of those value packages and starts pushing the price closer to around $300. Is buying that guitar and amp you suggested really better than buying a package, not necessarily the BC Rich I first showed. 'Cause the packages usually come with other components like the cables, case, strap, etc etc. I didn't want to spend too much buying everything separately, especially since I wanted a death metal effects pedal too (which I'll have to get separately). Just trying to keep everything below $300.
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
+ a trillion on MicroCube. Won't take distortion pedals well, but it already has very good distortion.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably purchase the Ibanez IJX121 Metal Guitar Jumpstart Package from the first link of divinecrossfire's post. I was considering buying that before too. If I like, I might upgrade the pickups to EMG 81's or 85's and get a better amp too, but that should work for now at least. The fact that it comes with an amp makes it a good buy.
Quote by frozenover
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably purchase the Ibanez IJX121 Metal Guitar Jumpstart Package from the first link of divinecrossfire's post. I was considering buying that before too. If I like, I might upgrade the pickups to EMG 81's or 85's and get a better amp too, but that should work for now at least. The fact that it comes with an amp makes it a good buy.

Since you're just starting, I doubt you will even notice a need to change the pickups. No need to buy EMGs for a starter guitar and within a year buy a better guitar. Get that Ibanez package, looks good for starters.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
The microcube will sound so much better. Don't let the word metal fool you!
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.