i recently got a 212 Valvking and a Fender HSS strat.

for the strat i want a Blues..., Pop Punk..., Punk... Steve Vai... Tone. soooo pretty versatile i guess?

what pickups should i get?

i was thinking dirty fingers for... bridge .... help with singles?

or other suggestions? thanks
Last edited by xfallchildx at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by xfallchildx
i recently got a 212 Valvking and a Fender HSS strat.

for the strat i want a Blues..., Pop Punk..., Punk... Steve Vai... Tone. soooo pretty versatile i guess?

what pickups should i get?

i was thinking dirty fingers for... bridge .... help with singles?

or other suggestions? thanks

replies?
Christ, give it a day, why don't you?

You just got new gear. Be happy and feel it out before you feel the need to tear it all apart.

Once you've gotten to know your stuff, new speaker(s) for the VK would be a good idea.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Christ, give it a day, why don't you?

You just got new gear. Be happy and feel it out before you feel the need to tear it all apart.

Once you've gotten to know your stuff, new speaker(s) for the VK would be a good idea.

well actually every day since about 3 weeks ago ive lived at guitar center, so i am used to my equipment alredy
Quote by xfallchildx
well actually every day since about 3 weeks ago ive lived at guitar center, so i am used to my equipment alredy

Then why are you asking us what you want? If you know your equipment that well, you should know what it lacks.

That being said, you're more than a pickup swap away from being able to nail everything from Blues to Vai. If you just want a generally versatile setup...you've got it. Try some of these ideas to get the tones you're after:

Push the amp's buttons. Tweak the tone knobs. EQ the amp. Lower the pickups. Raise the pickups. Put on heavier strings. Put on lighter strings. Crank the clean channel. Crank the OD channel. Turn down the gain. Turn up the gain. Pick lightly. Pick softly. Play with your fingers. Use the trem. Block the trem. EQ the amp again.

Not all tone problems need money thrown at them.
um i would say for pop-punk i would get either the hot rails, seymour duncan invader, or maybe the gibson dirty fingers (my man, tom delonge used the invader in his strat and the dirty fingers in his es-333) and for the other stuff (steve vai) idk ive never heard him
^+1 to what he said.

I have almost the same config as your new gear. It will be hard to get those tones with just a pickup swap imo. I would focus on the speaker change $$ budget wise before spending money on pickups. I will say that my Duncan TB-11 'can' sound cleaner or better on the Valveking than with stock Strat HB. I would still spend your money on speaker swap, then maybe a tube swap, and then maybe pickup swap.

i am assuming you have a Standard MIM Strat and gig too since you have 212?

Later

;