What are some of the main amps old metal bands used? I'm really into old school Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Death, Morbid Angel, Exodus, Obituary, etc. I know lots of them used JCM800's with tube screamers in front for extra gain. What are some other popular models?
peavey 5150 or 6505 and metallica ended up switching to mesa boogie for awhile so you might look into that.
Marshall MG Halfstack!!! Haa naaa, just kidding.

+1 to what Bobbito already said and the JCM. How much you willing to spend?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Well, Randall just came out with a line of Kirk Hammet sig amps. Might be worth checking out.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Saga LP Copy
- Godin Seagull Acoustic
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender G-Dec
- Jim Dunlop Crybaby
- Guitar Rig 2
Quote by DSOTM80
Marshall MG Halfstack!!! Haa naaa, just kidding.

+1 to what Bobbito already said and the JCM. How much you willing to spend?

i have no budget, i just want to save up and get the best of the best... I was thinking about getting the JCM800 but everyone says it doesn't have enough gain. Whats the point of getting it for the amp tone when ur just gonna use a pedal?
hmm unless your wanting like cannibal corpse tones I would say it has more than enough gain. If not the peavy's sure as hell will.
You could get high gain out of the Marshall 2203KK but that's if you want Slayer's tone though.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
A couple to check out if you get the chance.

Line 6 Spider and Tube amps.
Or Randall amps.

Both great sounding for metal and value for money for what you get.

Some older amps like the 5150 would be great, just depends on if you can find one, or the condition you find them in. Also check out how the cleans sound, some amps have amazing distortion sounds, but not so good cleans.

Have fun
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by Perturabo
A couple to check out if you get the chance.

Line 6 Spider and Tube amps.
Or Randall amps.

Both great sounding for metal and value for money for what you get.

Some older amps like the 5150 would be great, just depends on if you can find one, or the condition you find them in. Also check out how the cleans sound, some amps have amazing distortion sounds, but not so good cleans.

Have fun

Bold = NO

Peavey 5150/6505 Combo or if you want truly br00tal metal tones, a Mesa Roadking with a Maxon OD-808 (for tightening up) is always an amazing choice.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
OLd school metal = JCM800

or 900 for more gain

or a jubilee reissue (jcmslash)

pretty sure ive seen some hiwatts being abused with distortion pedals

mesa mark IV for testament and that sort of thing i think

ada pre amp and marshall power amp was always a popular choice

(5150s are relatively new and have way too much gain and not enough grunt for a proper old school sound)
Shut up and play your guitar!
Generally speaking when you use a tubescreamer or boost pedal in front of say a JCM800 or 900, you aren't going to change its sound too much, you'll just push it harder and make it tighter and more metal if you see what I mean. You can get Marshall JCM (with a boost) to get really heavy and based on the sounds you're looking for that's probably what I would do if I were you.

Also, I seem to mention the Carvin V3 in virtually every thread I go in to and I'll do it again I have a V3 and I bought it after trying out literally everything and I'm in love with its metal tones, it's such a jack of all trades but if it had one specialty I'd say it's the All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God types of metal but it also does the old school Testament and Metallica very very well.
Quote by Floydian45
Well, Randall just came out with a line of Kirk Hammet sig amps. Might be worth checking out.

i dont think that even has tubes. if that matters to you. ive heard from a lot of people and from what ive seen its not a very good amp.
Quote by kirkhammett09
i have no budget, i just want to save up and get the best of the best... I was thinking about getting the JCM800 but everyone says it doesn't have enough gain. Whats the point of getting it for the amp tone when ur just gonna use a pedal?

Well I'm gonna go all the way here, and its pretty pricey but you did say you don't have a budget so here goes. If I was to buy an ultimate amp, I think this would be it....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1959HW-Handwired-Plexi-Head?sku=482708
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst