Ok, atm I am working on a buddy of mine's bass guitar. It's a soundgear, and has 2 pickups both active.

Symptoms:
Distorted sound randomly, Randomly cuts in and out of sound completly, Random squeels, and randomly his volume and tone will seemingly change places "Didn't believe it until I seen it personally"

I figured dead 9v since it's active, Well replaced that still did it.
So i took it apart and discovered he had one bad 20kohm pot. No bigy, but even after fixing that it's still doing the symptoms...

It's also not the amp, I suspected that after the battery, but he plugged into another amp and same problem.

I don't know much about the bass, just that it's a soundgarden and has active pups. 4 string.

does anyone out there know what the problem could be?
does it have the PHAT 2 active EQ boost? ive got a GSR200 and it has that, check out that.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
and re-do EVERYTHING. caps, pots, wires, even the output. should work fine. if not, then it's the pickups. not a very expensive job, especially if he's paying you.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
does it have the PHAT 2 active EQ boost? ive got a GSR200 and it has that, check out that.

is that the circuit board?

nah he's not paying me, I'm just doing it to help him out, due to having no repair shops around my town. Closest one is at least 100mi
what did he do? Put the battery on backwards and fry the circuit board?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Nah, he did nothing. He was just playing and it started happening. He actually never replaced the battery in 3 years, Never even had the back open.
yeah, most guitar dont have a circuit in line with tone controls etc. that's it it sounds like. check that out, make sure there are no cold solder joints, or an oxidation problem. make sure all connections are secure and use a multimeter to make sure everything's running fine. to me it sounds like a problem in line with that, or various other small things like pots or caps. make sure EVERY solder joint in that damned guitar is a nice shiny one.
Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
yeah, most guitar dont have a circuit in line with tone controls etc. that's it it sounds like. check that out, make sure there are no cold solder joints, or an oxidation problem. make sure all connections are secure and use a multimeter to make sure everything's running fine. to me it sounds like a problem in line with that, or various other small things like pots or caps. make sure EVERY solder joint in that damned guitar is a nice shiny one.

Yah the pot that was mounted directly to that was bad, so you could be right. Might be something on the board.
yeah, check that the circuit is okay, to me, im suspecting that. no solder joints on it should be too dull. or if it's beyond repair just take that circuit out, see if it solves the problem, run the pickups as passive.
Quote by Invader Jim