to wet sand a guitar and polish it, do it have to use sand paper or can i use steel wool? and whats the difference? what are steel wool use for?
steel wool will shred your wood to bits and the finish, but im guessn you want to remove the finish, but yeah, sandpaper it then fine sandpaper it to smooth the wood out.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
steel wool is crazy useful for starting campfires and taking the finish right off any metal. So yeah, it will mangle wood in a magnificent way.
kool, i was gonna polish my guitar with it since i had buy a bag of it along time ago. but i can use it to clean my frets right!?
NOOOOOOOO, that will **** up yor fretboard you stupid eediot
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by druz15_UG
NOOOOOOOO, that will **** up yor fretboard you stupid eediot

Whatever. I use 0000 steel wool on by rosewood board all the time, and it doesn't do anything to it except clean it.
0000 still wool is really not that abrasive and will probably take you a long time if your trying to get "orange peal" out. With that said, get yourself the Micromesh sandpaper kit. Go through all 9 grits. By the time you get through the 9th grit, you'll probably be saticefied. If you want to use powder of liquid polishes after that, that's completely up to you but probably not necessary. Woodcraft.com has the small kit for something like $20.
There are different grades of steel wool. The really coarse stuff is pretty hard on wood. But the fine and super fine 000 and 0000 grades will leave a really smooth finish to wood and paint. I use it all the time. And the fine stuff can be used on frets to polish them. Doesnt work on stainless frets tho.
oh im guessn u use fine stuff, true. I still wouldn't toch a guitar with steel wool.

"What's the deal with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?"
-Janitor
Classic scrubs
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals