Recently, I've decided to get an overdrive pedal. Reason being I play metal and although I like my Randall RG50TC's distortion I feel it wouldn't hurt to tighten it up a little. Plus I play a lot of leads in my band so it would help a lot. I've looked around and a lot of people have recommended the Ibanez tubescreamers TS808 and TS9. But they never really specified if it was what a metal player would need. Any suggestions? By the way I do not want to get too pricey (the $169 TS808 is pushing it a little). Thanks
Get the 40 dollar TS7, then mod it to TS808 specs.
Maybe spend a buck or two on the parts, and 10 on the soldering iron (if you don't have one) and solder.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Maybe spend a buck or two on the parts, and 10 on the soldering iron (if you don't have one) and solder.

Good idea, if you're that brave, TS. The TS9 and Green Screamer are prettier, though.
Quote by darkarbiter7

ya but at the end of the day after burning your fingers multiple times, you wont want to play guitar for a while beuase it hurts to..
plus i have never touched a soldering iron and ya don't want to risk f'ing up. So TS9 would be metal enough for me then?
^But, then after you mod it, you realize that you saved 100-odd bucks. It's not that hard to burn yourself if you're smart. You could just wear like some thin gloves or something with rubber grips on the palms and fingers. And anyways, no pain, no gain.
If you don't have the confidence to mod, just pick up a Green Screamer or something else like that.
May I also recommend a Digitech (it's not digital) Bad Monkey?

First pedal I modded without even touching a soldering iron was my dod yjm308.
and I had to replace several diodes, resistors and the IC chip (which is a pain).
In the easy TS7 to TS808 conversion, you only have to change two resisitors, which are the easiest component to change IMO. Did the mod flawlessly, soldering isn't hard at all.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 17, 2008,
I tried the Ibanez TS-9 and TS-808, Maxon OD-9, OD-9 Pro+ and OD-808, BBE Green Screamer and Boosta Grande, MXR ZW-44, Digitech Bad Monkey and Boss SD-1 when I was looking for ODs and the only ones I was really impressed by was the TS-808 and OD-808. The Boosta Grande was a close second, but it lacked the mid hump which I really liked.

I say just try out as many as you possibly can then try the ones you liked until you find one you think fits you.

Also, check into the Krank Krankshaft, I hear it really makes your amp sound aggressive which is something you might like.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com