Ok... My friend came over today with his new Hellraiser. He has 81/89 for his PUP's. We hooked it up to my rig"check sig" which I know isnt anything special but suits my current needs. The thing is it really sounded bad to me! My RG sounds way better! It was alot thicker I guess I would say. The EMG's sounded like they where in a tin can. Maybe It couldve been the setting on my Eq? I had the bass 3,mids 6,highs 8 on my MXR. Anyway Im VERY NERVOUS... I ordered a ESP LTD EC-500 with 81/60 and I should have it early this week. Is this just how its going to sound with my rig. I really hope not any input you guys give me will be greatly apprectiated. I need some kind of help, reassurance or solutions. Thanks...
I have an axe with that combo (check sig) and I had to do a lot of modifying to my tone in order to get a full sound and not just sheer output. Right out of the box, EMG pickups tend to be a bit "brittle" in terms of tone. If you model your sound right, those pickups will do you well, but don't expect perfection right away.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
like with any new eqipment it takes a bit of time to get a feeling for the sounds... not knowing your amp, but the settings you have there should most likely sound very metallic...

the EMG81 is an active humbucker pick up so as stupid as it might sound maybe check the battery...

give it time.... i have the 81 and i love it....
If it sounded bad to you, then it your guitar will also sound bad because the pick ups are EMG also. Maybe sound bad in a different way because you have a 60 rather than a 85. This is why you should try before you buy
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
If it sounded bad to you, then your guitar will also sound bad because the pick ups are EMG also. Maybe sound bad in a different way because you have a 60 rather than a 89. This is why you should try before you buy

hope u can return it
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Idea: use the tone pots to roll off some trebble. I swear, most new guitarists these days don't seem to know what to do with tone pots.
what's a tone pot?

but seriously, that's always been my thought about actives compared to passives in general . . . they just sound dead
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
I really do hope that it was just a battery that made it sound so bad. If its not I hoping that the sound can be tweaked to sound better or that there is some kind of efx I can add to mad it thicker. Anyway I get my guitar tomorrow and Im very scared.
well i have EMG`s in my Warlock and they make all the other pickups i`ve heard sound inferior, the tone is thick and the gain is crazy with the PA2 it`s almost melt down crazy... and if you really don`t like the EMG`s buy different pickups and sell the EMG`s, i`m sure theres lotz of guys who would love to get there hands on a set, i know i would LOL.

But to me

EMG , i got them and my nephew has them, we both love`em.
Do you guys think that maybe my amp is to weak? I mean I only played them like I said for maybe 2 hours tops and I really did mess with my Eq much to try and get a better tone. They just sounded really I guess hollow not like my passive in my RG which sound alot meatier.
well the problem is EMG actives are horrible overrated. They don't sound as good as everyone thinks they will. Mostly because the majority of your sound comes from your amp. And the bands that use these humbuckers have really good amps that will make the EMG's sound better.