the price for Gibson SG standard went up again... i bought it for $1069 in 2004, and now they're giving them out for $1429 (for ebony). thats 25% increase in price (correct me if my math is wrong).. what's going on with gibson?

and how do SG owners feel about their investments (who paid the lower price)?

would you be willing to sell your instrument for a great return and try to experiment with something else? or hold on to it? or buy more gibsons since they're all going up in price?

i think i'll hold on to mine, but just wondering what you guys think about this whole deal
It's all about feel
also on that note, price of other guitars is dropping (LTD eclipse deluxe down to $839 nowadays, and gibson studio LP not blowing up at $1199, up from $1069 back in 2004)
It's all about feel
I really don't care that they increased the prices.

I wouldn't sell my SG.

I wouldn't buy a new one because companies play with prices all the time to see what they can and can't do money wise.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I really don't care that they increased the prices.

I wouldn't sell my SG.

I wouldn't buy a new one because companies play with prices all the time to see what they can and can't do money wise.

well i meant sell your sg now for the price you paid a while ago and buy a different guitar, like a fender american strat, or upgrade to LP standard or classic.

the price increase must be working for gibson, because they make a quality product and so making the demand for SG's inelastic
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
well i meant sell your sg now for the price you paid a while ago and buy a different guitar, like a fender american strat, or upgrade to LP standard or classic.

the price increase must be working for gibson, because they make a quality product and so making the demand for SG's inelastic

They won't keep the prices that high for long unless the supply/demand stays up.

People are starting to move over to the Japanese guitar companies who make quality instruments that are close or on par to Gibson guitars for a fraction of the price.

Getting a Les Paul isn't really an 'upgrade' either.

Apples and oranges my friend.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by hopespaul

not necessarily. someone could be like me see a price tag like that already go hoping up again (and $400 extra just to have RED finish? are you kidding me?) makes you want to look for a more affordable alternative.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They won't keep the prices that high for long unless the supply/demand stays up.

People are starting to move over to the Japanese guitar companies who make quality instruments that are close or on par to Gibson guitars for a fraction of the price.

Getting a Les Paul isn't really an 'upgrade' either.

Apples and oranges my friend.

but ibanez and LTD are lowering their prices, and gibson is increasing, showing the inelasticity of the demand for their product, meaning that if they increase prices, people will still buy enough of the product to keep the profits increasing. however, once prices go too high, then the demand becomes more elastic and therefore leading to less sales and people switching to cheaper alternatives. however, it doesn't seem that is the case with gibson's situation at the time, they're doing great.

do you know anything about how their new models have been doing?
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
but ibanez and LTD are lowering their prices, and gibson is increasing, showing the inelasticity of the demand for their product, meaning that if they increase prices, people will still buy enough of the product to keep the profits increasing. however, once prices go too high, then the demand becomes more elastic and therefore leading to less sales and people switching to cheaper alternatives. however, it doesn't seem that is the case with gibson's situation at the time, they're doing great.

do you know anything about how their new models have been doing?

I'd say pretty well since they made the Reverse Flying V a production model.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by mp3stalin
not necessarily. someone could be like me see a price tag like that already go hoping up again (and $400 extra just to have RED finish? are you kidding me?) makes you want to look for a more affordable alternative.

but there are enough people that don't feel the price is such a big difference because gibson hasn't lowered the price at all, especially with everyone talking about a recession in our business cycle here in the U.S.
It's all about feel
I say it's a good thing that I bought mine for $600 used in perfect condition. Then again, mine has NO resale value since I added onboard overdrive and put on new tuners.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I say it's a good thing that I bought mine for $600 used in perfect condition. Then again, mine has NO resale value since I added onboard overdrive and put on new tuners.

ahh modded sg...

what a great deal though.

what kind of tuners did you put on it? i haven't had many problems with the stock ones..
It's all about feel