Page 1 of 2
I try to stay as far away as the local "scene" as possible. When I say scene, I mean... the "trendy" kids all playing the same music, listening to the same songs, dressing the same, acting the same, etc. etc. You know the type I'm talking about.

Something I've found interesting, however, is whenever I speak out about how the local bands around here all sound the same, or how lots of kids act like clones of one another, or about my hatred of the "scene" in general....... no one disagrees with me. Also, I log onto my music myspace and there's people posting bulletins about how ****ty the local scene has become and how "no one cares about the music anymore", and how people need to support creativity.... and then I check their page and their profile song is by some generic emo/metal/hardcore band. Like I said, I try to stay away from this "scene" as much as possible, but being a local musician myself, it's kind of hard to avoid.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It's almost like it's become cool to bitch about the "scene", now. So many people complain about it, but no one's actually doing anything about it.

"People need to stop listening to this garbage and stop doing things just for the sake of being cool. We need to start thinking for ourselves!" Said the kid with the Peta2.com sticker on his ****ing guitar, who's in a band called The Piñata Hearts.

So what are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Don't know what I'm talking about? Think I'm a hypocrite?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
You're right, the "scene" is a horrible place where music goes to die and be judged before the shiney gates of HELL!
Quote by maccas666
You're right, the "scene" is a horrible place where music goes to die and be judged before the shiney gates of HELL!

SHINEY?
HELL IS SHINEY?!!
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by John W
SHINEY?
HELL IS SHINEY?!!

Kinda pretty too.

That's what the bible failed to mention about that place.
why stick to a scene or try to avoid one? just listen to the music you like and if people dont like it then thats their opinion.
Who gives a fuck about what others think? Seems to get your panties in a bunch quite easily.
2002 Epiphone Goth G400 SG
B.C. Rich Warlock custom
1986 Washburn RR2 Flying V
1991 Peavey Falcon II Stratocaster
scene kids are like always on the edge between faggy girl hardcore, or try to listen to constant blastbeats, to show people that they seem like something special.

It's all about appearance to scene kids. Its a ****ing disgust.

I was in the local music shop and a whole army of them walked in and caught me playing a groovy john mayer thing, and they all looked at me like i was nothing, one of them tried out dan donegans sig pedal, (and couldnt play very ****ing well - it was a parkway drive riff) and i was like you ****ing idiot.

secondly, my guitar teacher walked and said to me wanna jam? we walked into the same room where they were and jammed over a slashesqu riff, and i just started soloing over the top and these kids all walked out. seriously, to them metal is EVERYTHING.
Quote by soulflyV
I think you should just stop giving a fuck about everyone else.

I try not to. But it's hard when I want to go see live music and my only other option is to drive four and a half hours to a major city. I live in a small town and I hate it.

No worries, though. I'm moving soon.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
I try not to. But it's hard when I want to go see live music and my only other option is to drive four and a half hours to a major city. I live in a small town and I hate it.

No worries, though. I'm moving soon.

If it's no worries why post a bulliten about it!!!?
come to brisbane in Australia, our scence is pretty damn good, lots of good hard rock bands coming out
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by maccas666
If it's no worries why post a bulliten about it!!!?

Because I'm at work and I have three and a half more hours before I can go home. If I ever had a legitimate worry that was a big deal, I probably wouldn't come to the pit about it.

Quote by Mad-Season
Who gives a fuck about what others think? Seems to get your panties in a bunch quite easily.

I'm a local musician. I deal with other local musicians and local scenesters daily. It gets annoying.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by grunger
scene kids are like always on the edge between faggy girl hardcore, or try to listen to constant blastbeats, to show people that they seem like something special.

I was in the local music shop and a whole army of them walked in and caught me playing a groovy john mayer thing, and they all looked at me like i was nothing, one of them tried out dan donegans sig pedal, (and couldnt play very ****ing well - it was a parkway drive riff) and i was like you ****ing idiot.

secondly, my guitar teacher walked and said to me wanna jam? we walked into the same room where they were and jammed over a slashesqu riff, and i just started soloing over the top and these kids all walked out. seriously, to them metal is EVERYTHING.

i agree, but myself i like metal... GOOD ones (real ones ) not LOCAL.. 80 % of em are Sh**y emo/hardcore/metal band

i live in melbourne by the way
Quote by .smudged.
Sex is overrated, try World of Warcraft.
Quote by grunger

Scene kids? Metal?

/facepalm

breakdowns+peroxide hair+minor thirds+girl jeans= not metal
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by fcukinghostile
i agree, but myself i like metal... GOOD ones (real ones ) not LOCAL.. 80 % of em are Sh**y emo/hardcore/metal band

i live in melbourne by the way

i live in bendigo and the ****ing scene is a disaster man, its about 2 hrs from melbourne, and ive seen the melbourne seen and thats not as bad. trust me.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
Because I'm at work and I have three and a half more hours before I can go home. If I ever had a legitimate worry that was a big deal, I probably wouldn't come to the pit about it.

That is the smartest thing i have ever seen on UG.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
If I ever had a legitimate worry that was a big deal, I probably wouldn't come to the pit about it.

hahaha true! i have no useful advice for you other than i hope it gets better when you move
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
I have legitimate advice for you OP.

It won't.

Hippies didn't go away in the 60's, Disco kids didn't go away in the 70s, New Wave trash didn't go away in the 80's, Goth kids didn't go away in the 90's, and Scene kids won't go away until another group of losers assumes the role of faggotry in the 201*'s
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
The local scene here is basically all screamo/hardcore bands, with the occasional hard rock band in the mix.
We usually turn up at gigs and everything, because for live music around here, there's no other choice.
And they're always fun.
Quote by grunger
i live in bendigo and the ****ing scene is a disaster man, its about 2 hrs from melbourne, and ive seen the melbourne seen and thats not as bad. trust me.

i havent heard any bands from bendigo
Quote by .smudged.
Sex is overrated, try World of Warcraft.
the main thing that annoys me about the "scene" kids, is when they manage to get their music and metal somehow mixed up... i mean, i was having a death metal day and listening to cannibal corpse and bloodbath and such, this scene kid saw what was playing on my ipod and said to me "oh, you seem like the metal type, do you like atreyu or parkway drive, they are the coolest".... and he wasn't joking when he said that, my only reply was, "what!?"

that was my first encounter with a scene kid, and from that day forward they have annoyed me..

so yes, i agree
my best friend is a carbon copy of this girl:

copies

i seriously want to punch her in the face. i mean, seriously, why would you want a rope around your head?
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Yes.

Especially if by anywhere, you actually mean everywhere.

I hate my local scene.

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by thecameronator
the main thing that annoys me about the "scene" kids, is when they manage to get their music and metal somehow mixed up... i mean, i was having a death metal day and listening to cannibal corpse and bloodbath and such, this scene kid saw what was playing on my ipod and said to me "oh, you seem like the metal type, do you like atreyu or parkway drive, they are the coolest".... and he wasn't joking when he said that, my only reply was, "what!?"

that was my first encounter with a scene kid, and from that day forward they have annoyed me..

so yes, i agree

Sweet merciful jesus in a bun. I have so much of that at my school.

"hai guiz im listening to parkway drive. listen to it because its orsm"
"man underoath is awesome death metal"
"i dont listen to death metal except for slipknot"
"atreyu is fuckin awesome metal band"
"i dont like children of bodom except for their cover of 'the final countdown'"
*wearing a maiden bag* "whats your favourite maiden song?" "oh i dont really have one"

There is one [or two] other guy in my school who I can actually talk to about music. Not theory, but just music. He likes whingey whiny punk music and all that stuff, but because he actually knows what he's talking about, I respect his life choices.
my main annoyance is with kids who complain about the scene and then proceed to BE everything they bitch about.

Quote by talia.
my best friend is a carbon copy of this girl:

copies

i seriously want to punch her in the face. i mean, seriously, why would you want a rope around your head?

haha @ the rope on head. low self-esteem is a mother****er, isn't it?
Banging on a trash can
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Mar 17, 2008,
The only local scene I know of here is the metal scene, which has some great bands. I have no idea what the main scene around here is like, I just ignore it.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
preachin to the choir here BigFatSandwich!
i think about my life,
and the midnight highway...
the life of a renegade
king

Member #7 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club! PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join
Quote by maccas666

+100
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
"People need to stop listening to this garbage and stop doing things just for the sake of being cool. We need to start thinking for ourselves!" Said the kid with the Peta2.com sticker on his ****ing guitar, who's in a band called The Piñata Hearts.

'don't you ever think there's more to life than being really really really really ridiculously good looking?'

but seriously now, in general, these days, a lot of so-called hardcore scenes suck, because there are too many kids in them that just don't really get hardcore, and all the ones who do get annoyed and start post-rock bands. ha. and then these new kids adopt the bitching-about-the-scene that the people who were originally in these scenes took up beforehand, but don't quite seem to realise that they themselves are the reason that the scene now sucks.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Mar 17, 2008,
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
don't you ever think there's more to life than being really really really really ridiculously good looking?

yes. and I intend to find out what that is.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
yes. and I intend to find out what that is.

NB: i was quoting zoolander, because that little bit reminded me of that particular line.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
^haha yes and so was I. great movie.

oh. i guess i just phailed. massively.

Well some people actually like that kind of music. It just so happens that this kind of music is "scene".
hue
Quote by sock_demon
Well some people actually like that kind of music. It just so happens that this kind of music is "scene".

I get the impression most of them like it because all their hip and happening friends like it.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Page 1 of 2