Hey all,
After a while away from my guitar I decided to get back into the swing of things. I bought myself a new guitar (5 string) and have found I can't for the life of me hold a tempo and sound clear notes while muting open strings. I used to play a 4 string and the method I had for that doesn't seem to work for me. Can anyone post vids demoing how they mute the lower strings when moving up the fretboard (ie from B to D)? Cheers all...
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
So are you looking for left hand or right hand mutes?

(SMACKS HEAD) Should've said so. Left hand mutes, atm im doing all right hand mutes and thats why its fookin hard to maintain everything
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Generally for muting open strings I only use the right hand. Maybe if you could detail the problem a little more...

I do the same for open notes, using the pinky side of my hand or another finger Im not plucking with.

You should try using both left and right hand mutes. They're both very effective; just find which one is easier. It all depends on what you're playing.
Quote by harryhash
Should've said so. Left hand mutes, atm im doing all right hand mutes and thats why its fookin hard to maintain everything

Do you fingerpick? When I play most of my muting comes from my right (picking) hand. Usually the only muting from my fretting hand comes from fretting with the pad of my finger and allowing the meaty part of my digits to lay across the higher pitched strings I'm not playing. Occasionally I'm forced to lightly bar with my left index, but this is only when my right thumb is unavailable for muting.

If you use a plectrum I don't really know what to tell you, I rarely resort to using on. When I do use one, I usually attempt to mute low open strings with the heel of my palm, sometimes when muting the D I have to resort to letting my left index finger rest over the strings, and playing three fingered. It's possible to curl your left thumb over the fretboard to mute your low E (If your hands are big enough, mine aren't ).