I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I've been lurking around here for quite a while.
I'm playing Sweet Child of Mine by GnR and while I was learning a solo and I had to bend on the 14th fret of 3rd string and for some reason my fingers would always go underneath the 4th string. Does that make sense? I can bend the 3rd string, but because I'm pushing them upwards, it causes the 4th string to go over my fingers. Any advice? Am I not doing it properly?
I hope what I said made some sense, because I'd really like to master this bend.
Last edited by funkyspunk at Mar 17, 2008,
Sounds like your action (the strings height above the fretboard) is a bit high. Don't quite know how to explain this properly, but you should be "taking the strings with you" when bending without actually strumming it, like this:
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
I know that that's the proper way of doing it, but does it sound like I'm bending it..."wrong?" Because I tried a tone bend, how you pull down to reach and that was perfectly fine because I "took the strings" with me.
When you do it, do the other strings just naturally follow you up? Because mine always slide over my nails and it makes the sound really bad. I've been trying again and again and it just doesn't seem to work.
And if the real reason is the height of my strings, is there a way to make them...closer to the fretboard? I don't think there is, but I'm asking to be on the safe side.
Is it an acoustic or electic? Acoustics tend to be harder to bend that electrics, and they also (usually) have higher action. In electrics, you have something called sadles in which the string lay, that allow you to adjust action and intonation.
On acoustics they usually are not, but if you take it to your location guitar-store, the guys there usually have some tricks for lowering the action, but be advised that lowering the action on an acoustic may lead to such things as fret buzz, depending on the quality of the neck, as many acoustics don't have a truss-rod allowing you to tweak the angle of the neck and cheaper acoustics might not have completely straight necks, which in turn can be compensated for by having higher action, so it's sort of a double-edged sword.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Yes, it's an electric. I have an acoustic next to me and I know I won't even bother trying Sweet Child O Mine on that one. For example, I'm bending my B string up and my A string just slides right on my nails on my pointer finger, middle and ring finger.
Sorry about this, and I understand if you're running out of advice. You've been quite a lot of help and I appreciate it.
Well, if it's an electric, and you have a fender style bridge, then you'll have these things:

which is the bridge with saddles on. On the saddles are small allen screws (two per sadle) which you use to adjust the string height.

If you have Gibson style bridge, then you'll have one of these:

And here you adjust the string height by turing on of the two screws on the bridge, like in the image.

Now, If you have a floyd rose style bridge, like this:

I suggest you take it to your local shop to get if fixed, cause a bridge like that is quite complicated if you are somewhat new to guitars.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Thanks so much! You're such a kind person. Now one more simple question, by lowering the action wouldn't that cause fret buzz?
Well, that depends really, on a number of factors.
It the string height is really high, like 10mm of the fretboard (looking down on the neck at the 12th fret), then lowering it a bit shouldn't be a problem.

Things that may or may not come in to play is:
- The height of your pickups
- The height of your frets
- The angle of the neck
- The necks bend

Usually, on a normal guitar, the pickup and fret height is not a problem, nor is the angle.
The bend of the neck might be a problem, but this is usually related to the overall quality of the guitar. On a high end or medium-to-high end guitar, the neck will almost always be set up correctly and will not warp unless it is abused in some way.
On lower-end guitars, the overall quality of the neck might warp it if you, say, put on extremely thick strings.

But, the short answer is, probably not. Unless you lower them ridiculously low. And you could always just adjust it back if it ended up being a problem.

But the golden rule is always: If you are unsure how to do it, let a professional do it.
This way you avoid fudging anything up, and if the guy at the guitarshop messes up, well, then, it's his fault, ìsn't it?
So, if you are afraid you might mess up your guitar, take it to the store, and ask them to set it up for you. Shouldn't cost you a lot of money.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Thanks so much for your time! You've helped me out so much!
I gotta get goin' now.
Thanks a mega bunch once again. Hope to catch you round on the boards!