Hey guys i have been playing my first guitar for about 4 years now ($400 no-name crap) and i'm about to get a new guitar. I'm a metalhead and so i'm in the market for the ltd's and schecters around $1500 aud.

I reckon the new (08) schecter C-1 hellraiser is a beauty.

But i can't decide between FR: http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=278

and no FR: http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=273

(I should point out as well that in the pic for the black FR its an 08 model with the grey binding and 81tw/89 and in the pic for the black hardtail its an 07 without the binding and the old 81/85 combo. change the colours and you'll see there's subtle differences. I don't know why... schecter's webpage guys must just have made a mistake.)

So back to the issue at hand: I don't desperately need an FR but it seems a waste to get this type of guitar without it when i could keep it for years and i will eventually want the FR. The problem is that i regularly (daily) switch between standard and drop D and occasionally to D standard/drop C.

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but if i block the trem so its not floating is it really any more work to switch tunings than a hardtail? I don't want all the trouble of a floating floyd until sometime in the distant future where i could have a guitar for each tuning or something. If it is definitely no more work than a hardtail then i would get the FR and block it.

Should i invest in the floyd rose for the future (its an OFR too, awesome) or stick with more of a workhorse of a guitar without it (but one which may eventually become redundant).

Help me UG!
Thanks.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
FR all the way trust me at first your like omfg why did i get a floyd then u get use to it and your like sick..

oh and u can pwn noobs with dive bombs

sorry ive been playing conter strike all afternoon
I hear that an FR will have reduced string tension as opposed to a hardtail (tune-o-matic in this case). considering i love my heavy riffing (especially lamb of god at the moment) will the FR feel less precise and crisp if u get my meaning?
Quote by Nutman69

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Well, if you change tunings alot, a floyd rose might not be the way to go, although blocking it and using it for downpitching only is an alternative, it kind of takes some of the fun in the FR away. I can't live without them, so I tend to stick to one tuning, but then again, I have multiple guitars, so the problem is not that big.

If you get an FR, just remember that if you keep it floating, the tuning is a bitch, cause every pitch change on one string affects all the other (I'm sure you already know this). It will also reduce some of the guitars sustain.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
well yeah there's sort of the essence of my question, is a floyd rose practical for your only guitar? or should i take the conservative option?
Quote by Nutman69

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Short answer; probably not.
Longer answer; question: do you really NEED a floyd? Do you regularly use it, or is it just for fun now and then? And it really also depends on how often you go to drop D. If it's like every other song, then I'd suggest the hard-tail.
Another suggestion: Do you currently own a guitar? If so, tune that sucker to drop D, get the floyd and keep that baby in standard. I still have my old ****ty starter strat rip-off, which I currently use when I play around with the drop-A-octave tuning, just for fun
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
In my opinion get the one with the FR, but that my opinion i reaLLY like FRs
that a good trem too so is not going to be as hard as if you were useng a crappy one
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350