No this isnt a newbie "howdy y'all thread."

Just curious, about 90% of the time when i say 'Howdy' to people, the response i get is 'good thanks, how are you'. I stand with a puzzled look on my face because clearly i didnt ask how they were, or am i mistaken. Is howdy some form or slang for how do you do or some crazy western thing like that?
Get on top of my coffin woman.
Maybe it's the way you're saying it? Maybe you accidentally say "howdoyoudo?"?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
some people are clearly idiots. i use howdy to say hello to people and i normally just get a hello in reply. maybe they think your saying how are you? just really quickly...iunno
They obviously think you're saying 'how do?' or something, because noone outside of a western film says howdy.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
'Howdy', is simply a shortened version of 'How d'you do?' (containing the first five letters of the phrase) to which the obvious answer would be 'Good thanks, how are you?'
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 17, 2008,
Nah it's a pretty clear howdy. I dont know, maybe people dont listen, i know when i dont hear people i just say yeah and smile.
Get on top of my coffin woman.
i live in alabama
and i know alot of rednecks

instead of 'howdy'...yell at the top of your lungs 'HOW YALL DOIN?!!!'
Quote by Rankles
They obviously think you're saying 'how do?' or something, because noone outside of a western film says howdy.

I beg to differ
Quote by stephen_rettie
ever get that when you just say hello? happens to me a lot lol

'Hello' has been credited as a word of greeting that was invented by Thomas Edison, for use when answering the telephone. It is said to be based on the word 'Hullo' which was used as an expression of surprise at the time.
Alexander Graham Bell initially used 'Ahoy-hoy' (as used on ships and as Mr Burns from The Simsons can be heard to still use when answering the phone ) as a telephone greeting.

That said, many people generaly expect a friend to say 'How are you?' and subconciously have the reply 'Fine thanks.' ready whenever they see them approaching, then when the greeting happens, they just can't help themselves from saying it.
try saying 'banana' the next time you meet a friend on the street, and see if he still replies 'Fine thanks.'

Quote by maccas666
I beg to differ

I thought you guys said 'G'day' ?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 17, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
'Howdy', is simply a shortened version of 'How d'you do?' (containing the first five letters of the phrase) to which the obvious answer would be 'Good thanks, how are you?'

what this guy said
I allways say soup instead of sup and people get it, i intend for them not to but they do grrrrr
Look in my eyes what do you see?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I thought you guys said 'G'day' ?

I don't even remember the last time i said g'day.
Quote by maccas666
I don't even remember the last time i said g'day.

I do, you just said it then.

Around here, the general greeting is 'Alright?' (pronounced 'O'reet') which, like 'Howdy' is both a greeting and an enquiry of one's health.